You know what I mean. It's low fuss. Set the crock pot on low. With minimal prep or oversight, dinner will be ready in about 4 1/2 hours.
This meal is also very economical.
|Easy Round Steak |
with Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound thin cut bottom round steak, tenderized*
- 1/2 tablespoon grill seasoning for steak
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced and divided
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 can condensed fat free Cream of Mushroom soup (10 ounces)
- 2 - 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
Other: Cooking Spray
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Preheat to low heat.
Add oil to a large skillet. Sprinkle both sides of round steak with grill seasoning. Brown on both sides, about five minutes. Carefully drain fat from pan to promote even browning (if needed).
Add half of the sliced onion and the garlic to the bottom of the slow cooker; salt and pepper onions as desired. Top with meat. Add canned soup (do not dilute) and thyme sprigs.
Cover and cook for 3 1/2 hours.
Add in remaining onions, peppers and mushrooms on top of the meat; salt and pepper as desired. Add soy sauce and mix into vegetables.
Cook for one additional hour. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Remove thyme stems before serving.
Great with skinny mashed potatoes. If you are looking to stretch the meal, this dinner goes great with a side of steamed carrots with butter, honey and thyme.
* Tip: Look for thin sliced round steak that has already been tenderized. It is commonly used for making Country Fried Steak as an alternative to cube steaks. You can also tenderize round steak by using a meat mallet (optional).