Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mahogany Bay Grouper

Blogger's Note:   Be honest:  If you are a meat eater, you are focused on that juicy steak and scallops picture on my header.  In time I will share that recipe.  It's a special secret right now.

By the way, what do you think of the new smaller and more streamlined header?  There is a poll on the side of the blog if you would please take a moment to answer. 

I aim to please all of you who take the time to come over here and read this blog.  I want to let you know how much I really appreciate it. 

I would sing, "You Light Up my Life," to you, but you'd never visit me again.  ;.)

Yes, I do know my strengths and my weaknesses. 

Speaking of strength --

This morning before work I did a Billy Blanks Boot Camp Cardio Inferno workout.  I feel amazing, although I swore at the television a good twenty times or so while working out. 

It's just what I do.  

Seriously,  I didn't want to undo all the good I did today by eating badly tonight.  Hence, we have fish.


Mahogany Bay Grouper

I purchased this beautiful half pound of grouper at the farmer's market on Sunday.  It was flash frozen.  I have read that frozen fish actually has more nutrients, just as frozen veggies often do.  And Dan loves grouper; any opportunity to get him to eat fish.

I haven't been on a cruise in a couple of years. Medical bills and the economy have kept us away from such extravagances as of late.  This "bold and spicy" dish reminded me of a western Caribbean vacation which we took in March of 2010.  It is the kind of dish you'd get on a cruise ship on the "light" menu.  It especially minded me of this trip which took us to Honduras.

Mahogany Bay is a resort Island off the coast of Central America.  It is also sometimes listed as Isla Roatan.  Take a ski lift out to the beach and sit there all day, sipping a cocktail or two in and swimming the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

View #1 from a Ski Lift...
But where is the snow?
On the way to the beach...

I got that hat from a wine vendor... ;.)

Hey, by the way, the Jet Stream is keeping all the nasty Arctic air away from the US right now.  Those of you up north, use this as an excuse to get those beach bodies ready even earlier this year.  Push away from the computer.  Get out there and take advantage of the warmer weather. Here is a recipe to help get you on the right track.

Note:  One pound of Grouper will serve 4.  Since there are only two of us, I prepared a little over a half a pound of fish.  Just double or tripe this recipe accordingly for your needs.

Since I am using corn in this recipe, I did not make any other starches with this meal.  I prepared a few microwave steamed green beans (fresh) on the side, and that's all we needed; that, and a little Mango Iced Tea. 

Anchors away:


Mahogany Bay Grouper
Serves 2

1/2  pound Fresh Grouper Fillet
1 teaspoon Blackened Seasoning
2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
1 10 ounce can Rotel® Mexican Lime & Cilantro (Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro)*
1 1/2 cups Frozen Corn
1 tablespoons Butter, cubed
1 tablespoons Tequila
3 Lime Slices
Fresh Cilantro or Cultrano, chopped, for garnish (optional)

Other:  Canola Oil Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix blackened seasoning and Cajun seasoning together.  Rub the seasoning on one side of the fish.  Place seasoned side face down in baking dish spayed with cooking spray. 

Rub on remaining seasoning. 

Add corn to baking pan atop fish.

Add Rotel®.

Dot with butter.

Layer lime slices on tip of fish.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes until fish flakes.
Top with cilantro or culantro.


Serve with Steamed Green Beans

Note:  This recipe was prepared and tested using this brand of canned tomato.  If you cannot find it, you can substitute your favorite brand and even play around with the flavors of the salsa. 

Use less seasoning for a milder fish.

No product was supplied to blogger and not a paid endorsement.

1 comment:

TinaRBK said...

You are so lucky to have access to fresh fish. While I have never had grouper-this cajun southwestern fusion dish does sound tasty. It is pretty cool how delicious food can bring you straight to a wonderful memory of a trip or time with friends. Thanks for sharing this!