Monday, November 12, 2012

Sizzlin' Sangria Skewers



It's fall and it's time to pick the oranges fresh off the trees here in Florida.  This time of year, I like to look for ways to use these beautiful sun-kissed delights in cooking.

This marinade is great with beef, chicken or tuna.  I  used beef. 

I served this dish over a store-bought beef rice mix with a squirt of orange added while cooking.   That is a great tip for spicing up store-bought rice mixes; add fresh fruit or fruit juice.

I topped the rice with a big mound of stir fry veggies prepared with soy sauce, orange juice, and garlic.   Just a little freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt was all I needed to finish.

BTW - Add on any veggies that you like to the skewers.  This marinade is great with those pre-packaged skewers that you find in the meat section of your local supermarket.

Ingredients for Marinade:

(For each skewers you will need)

Juice of 1/2 orange
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Juice of one lime
1/4 cup dry red wine or non alcoholic wine
6 whole cloves

Directions:





Combine all ingredients for marinade.  Toss in the citrus fruit rinds. Marinate chicken or beef skewers for thirty minutes, turning occasionally. 

For chicken, you will want to keep the food in the refrigerator.  Beef can be marinated to room temperature as long as it's covered.

Marinate tuna in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Remove from marinade.

Note:  Season the skewers as much as you like. I like to use a liberal amount of Adobo seasoning with pepper before I toss these on the grill pan. 

If you have a favorite seasoning, you can use that. Go ahead and mix it up!

Grill on grill pan over high heat, turning skewers once on each side; about five minutes for medium rare.




Enjoy! 

I will see you soon.  I've got some great low calorie comfort food recipes coming up over the next couple of weeks so stay tuned!

If you like this recipe, check out one of my originals (and one of my personal favorites): http://welcometojustforcooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/corsican-style-beef-served-with-winter.html

No comments: