Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Little Help from My Friend (the store): Stuffed Chicken Francaise



No, I haven't gone back to the 60's with this post.  Nothing psychedelic here.  I was only six in 1969 for gosh sakes! 

But this post is going to be pretty "groovy."

*********

Sometimes I dine alone.  My husband travels on business at times and he is also a Mason.  I was going to say not the kind like Paul Revere, but actually, he is.  Check out American history if you are not sure what I mean here.  I know I have several readers from overseas. 

I also hurt my knee a few weeks ago while exercising to a Jillian Michaels DVD.  My bad.  I was swearing at her and I turned the wrong way. Of course, I pushed it.  After all, I am 50 and I can "Kick, stretch, and kick" as per the Molly Shannon character, Sally O'Malley on SNL.  If you've never seen those skits, Goggle those as they are drop over funny!

I have to really watch my diet.  Yet sometimes you just don't feel like cooking.  I found ways to use a little of a store-bought product so you get the flavor, but not a lot of calories or fat.

Here is a recipe that uses a variety of store-bought and fresh ingredients.  This recipe is for one serving but just double or triple it as needed.

Here you go:

Ingredients:



2 tbs. light olive oil, divided
2 1/2 cup fresh spinach, washed and stemmed
Pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
1 tbs. whipped cream cheese with chives
1 tbs. grated Romano cheese
2 thin slices of chicken breast
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. grill seasoning for chicken
1 medium egg, beaten
1 tbs. butter
1 tsp. capers
1/4 cup sliced sun dried tomatoes; rehydrate in water (microwave for two minutes)
1/4 cup bottled Francaise sauce (I used Gia Russa)

Note:  The cauliflower is for a side dish

Directions:

Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet. Add spinach and nutmeg. Wilt the spinach.

Once the spinach is wilted, add the cream cheese and grated cheese. Toss well and remove from heat.

Dredge chicken in flour mixed with grill seasoning and egg.  Top one piece of the chicken the the creamed spinach mixture.  Top with another slice of chicken and secure with toothpicks. Only use as much spinach as will fit inside the "sandwich."*

Heat remaining tbs. of the oil and the butter in a sauté pan.

Add the chicken and brown on both sides, about four minutes total.

Add the capers, the sun dried tomatoes and the Francaise sauce to the chicken.  Simmer for two minutes.



 
*Serve with mashed cauliflower and the remaining creamed spinach on the side.

No comments: