Monday, April 9, 2012

"The Great Steak Challenge" - Cooking Channel 9 PM EDT - April 10th

Photo By Mary Steinbacher
Used with permission

My huband, Dan, is going to be on the Cooking Channel on April 10th at 9 PM EDT.

Me in 2010 at the Regionals


As many of you already know, I was a regional finalist in the 1st ever Beringer Great Steak Challenge in 2010 in Orlando.  While I didn't win, that gave me the confidence to move forward and look at the contests I've won and the recipes I've had published!  It only takes one to give you the "bug."

I underwent several outpatient procedures last year.  Life was a little rough for me for a few months there and I wasn't sure if I would be able to travel, so I decided not to enter.  I didn't feel healthy and I certainly didn't feel pretty enough to be on camera if I did place in the contest.   When you are sick, you often opt out of participating in the real world.

When I was in the regional contest the year prior, my husband, Dan, was there to cheer me on and then some, to the point of making me want to yell at him.  Yeah, Dan goes a little overboard sometimes in the cheering section.  LOL.

Long story short:  Several people encouraged Dan to "put his money where his mouth is."  For months he worked on dry rub recipes.  Finally, he hit on something really special and I encouraged him to enter it if that is what he wanted to do. So, he did.  And the rest, as they say, is history.



Lookie what I got in return...
Yummy, yummy... ;.)

Dan is a baker (I don't bake, as you know).  He came up with this fabulous Hazelnut Coffee steak rub using baking spices.  For those of you who are skeptical about the big guy coming up with this on his own -  believe me, I get tired of answering that question.   YES, Dan came up with this recipe all on his own.   

How did Dan get to like cooking?   I think it was when won sixth place (second runner up) in a Sunkist cooking contest a few years ago.  I didn't even place in the same contest. 

I  guess it's all about stereotyping.  As a diversity trainer by day, I think the world stereotypes far too often.  We need to stop that!  Big guys who like football and beer CAN cook and do know about food and wine pairing sometimes.  Truth is, when we go wine tasting, the big guy has a better sense of the vino than I do!  Believe me, I am loving that he has the cooking bug now.  Less work for me!  ;.)   And I hope this story inspires you all to try new things in the kitchen and to reach for your own goals.

There were other previous contestants who had relatives and friends in the finals this year, too.   You might even know someone who was in the contest.  If that be the case, you know we are on a gag order.  I cannot reveal anything about the results until after the first airing tomorrow at 9 PM EDT.  After that, you can ask all the questions you want about the competition. 

Here is the link to the pre-show video.   Dan has a speaking part at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzyW6AVvWY&feature=player_embedded




I hope you will watch and I hope you will cheer for Dan and try his recipe!   Dan's recipe is number six over on the list of fabulous steak dishes.   Do not read anything into this as to the results!   Those were posted prior to the competition.

http://www.greatsteakchallenge.com/browse-recipes/2011-finalist-recipes/

BTW -  the contest is wonderful.  I would highly encourage everyone to give it a try!  Dan and I haven't decided yet if we want to enter. 

If we do, maybe we will see you in Napa next year!

4 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

Good luck!

TinaRBK said...

Bravo-way to go Dan! Cool that he is traditionally a baker and has made his mark with something savory. Also, I think you two do make a great team. Two in the kitchen creating can be a lot of fun! Congrats to your husband again.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Oh - I wish I had cable! I'm so rooting for him! And getting to meat those good looking Deen boys was a nice little bonus thrown in there. That Jamie is even better looking in person!

Unknown said...

So many people I know do not get the Cooking Channel. Even some of Dan's relatives didn't get to see the show. Now that the gag order is lifted I can tell you that Dan did not win but he had a great time. Congrats to the winners.