Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy Shrimp and Bay Scallop Alfredo

Hello!   I am back.

I took a few days off over a long weekend to rejuvenate my mind and body.  Tonight is technically the last night of my mini "vacation."  I am treating myself to a glass of wine and this simple dinner.

Easy Shrimp and Bay Scallop Alfredo

This Alfredo recipe takes a little help from the store -- or should I say, "from my friend" to coin a famous Beatles song.  My friend, Susanne, works for a food consultant.  Like my cooking, hers is from a "healthier focus."  She kindly gives me some of the Alfredo base that she uses in the test kitchen.  All I do is add a little butter, grated cheese and 2% milk. 

In this recipe, I call for "your favorite" Alfredo.  Most store-bought brands are loaded with calories.  I would encourage you to surf the net for a skinny version that you like.  I wouldn't be truthful here if I told you that I made the sauce myself.  One of these days I will come up with an Alfredo recipe that is "skinny" and as good as Susanne's.  

If you are one of my food blogger friends, you know we all support each other.  As I often say, "Food bloggers are the nicest people in the world!"  If you have a skinny Alfredo recipe, feel free to post your link here.  My only request is that the recipe be lower in calories, fat, or other bad things that make us - well, not so skinny.

Here you go.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Fettuccine pasta, cooked per package directions
1 1/2 cups of your favorite Alfredo sauce
Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
Pinch of white pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound bay scallops
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
Splash of dry white vermouth (optional)
Squirt of fresh lemon juice
Chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley and chives), to taste
Grated Parmesan and Romano cheese for passing at the table

Prepare pasta per package directions and warm Alfredo sauce.  Add nutmg and white pepper to sauce and stir.

In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until just before smoke point. 

Toss scallops in Cajun seasoning and add to hot pan.  Saute for two minutes.

Add butter.  Once butter melts, add cooked shrimp and cook for one more minute. 

Add vermouth, if using, and lemon juice.

Toss pasta with Alfredo sauce.  Plate equal portions on plates.  Top with seafood mixture and a little of the sauce from the saute pan.

Top with herbs and cheese.






Now, isn't that easy? 

Enjoy!