Friday, April 20, 2012

Bruschetta-Style Garlic and Cheese Toasts

Okay, I am now on this "bruschetta" kick, or variations of it.  I love to make it as a starter for any meal.  

Bruschetta-Style Garlic and Cheese Toasts

I forgot to buy garlic bread to serve with my  Easy Shrimp and Bay Scallop Alfredo .   I decided to make my own using a baguette. 

This is so cheesy and good, you are going to love it.  The elephant garlic gives it a sweet garlic flavor which is not overpowering.

Ingredients:

12 slices baguette, cut about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 medium sized clove elephant garlic, chopped
1/4 cup good quality olive oil
Pinch or two of coarse Sea salt
1/8 cup packaged Italian Cheese Blend, shredded (your choice)
2 tablespoons seasoned Panko bread crumbs
Fresh chopped chives, for topping

Preheat broiler.

Slice baguette.  



In a medium mixing bowl, mash the garlic, olive oil and salt together until a paste is created.  


Liberally brush the bread with the garlic mixture.  Top with cheese and the bread crumbs. 

Place bread in boiler-safe pan.  Broil for about four or five minutes until cheese turns bubbly and brown.

I like to serve the browned bits of the cheese with the bread (those that fall to the bottom of the baking pan that can be easily scooped up).



Top with chives.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

Kim Bee said...

This looks so good. I love baguettes made into garlic bread.