Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuscan Pasta

Tuscan Pasta

Mama Pirri brought over her famous Escarole and Beans today.  Her recipe is so simple, but it's the best I've ever eaten. 

Mama Pirri's Escarole and Beans
with Mild Italian Sausage

Mama Pirri simply takes -

1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 large head Escarole, washed and chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/2 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper
1  15 ounce can Cannellini Beans, partially drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Mama Pirri sautés everything together until it's delicious.  Last night she decided to roast up a couple of Mild Italian Sausage and she added that to the mix. 

She drizzled two sausages with olive oil and she roasted them at 350 degrees for one hour until very crispy.  The sausage is then sliced and added to the Escarole and Beans.

When she brought me these leftovers today, I was going to eat them for lunch.  I thought about it; this would go right along with this week's theme of healthy, lower calorie cooking using lots of veggies.




I decided to turn this into a pasta dish by adding cooked bow tie pasta.  There are so many good quality whole grain pastas on the market today.  Feel free to use whole grain if you want to bump up the fiber content even more.  I think you can get away with a little of the "real stuff" since this dish contains both beans and greens.  

Here is my add in -

2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 clove fresh Garlic, minced
1 fresh Tomato, diced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped Basil

I combined everything together, I tossed on a little more grated cheese and there you go!  Tuscan pasta. 




You can make this all at once, or you can make the Escarole and beans for one meal and then use the leftovers in this great weeknight pasta dish.  This is a nutrition-packed meal.  It's delicious.  I know you are going to want to make this one over and over again.

If you like this dish, you might also like:
http://welcometojustforcooking.blogspot.com/2011/01/all-that-and-can-of-beans.html

3 comments:

Kitchen Simmer said...

Those escaroles and beans look absolutely creamy and delicious! What a great way to stretch the dish out with pasta. Well done. :)

TinaRBK said...

Very creative with the escarole and beans dish. It looks like something I would love to have prepared either way. I have saved the recipes and I look forward to a wonderful dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

The nice thing about Mama Pirri's E & B is that you can simply add part water and part chicken broth to her recipe and it makes a fantastic soup.