Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beef Merlot

Before I begin this evening's post, I want to say that I am now actively using Twitter.  I resisted for so long because it's very hard for me to condense ANYTHING down to 140 characters.  It's forcing me to be more "creative," is that what they call it?  If you will follow me at @MKWrites2 I promise I WILL follow you!

Also happy to report that I've lost another 5 pounds by simply eating this way and exercising!  Hence the reason for the new profile pic -- and the new "Carmela Soprano" style hairdo that I'm sporting.  I'll be posting a new video soon, so you'll see the "transition" from the spring - when I think I last posted a video - until now.

Healthy eating and exercise = less of you! 

Note:  I added figs to this dish because they are very high in fiber.  See, you can have your braised beef and a serving of smashers and still get good health benefits from a meal like this!  Amazing what nature's foods can do for you!

Beef Merlot

Clocks turned back an hour last night; soups and stews are perfect for this time of year.  Especially since it's even getting colder here in Florida. 

All you need with this meal are mashed potatoes or noodles.  The addition of the figs gives this dish a unique sweet/savory flavor (see health benefit note above).

I like to add a pound of veal breast (cut into ribs) to this dish. If you don't eat veal, you can certainly leave that out. 

It is important to season every "layer" of this dish with salt and pepper.  Fresh herbs are added at the end.

Use a wine that you could drink, but no need to go top of the line.  I like to look for bottles that are on sale for cooking.

Here is what you will need:

1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 pound Stew Meat (cut into large chunks)
1 pound Veal Breast, separated into ribs
1/8 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon Sea Salt, more to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper, more to taste
3 Carrots, sliced into rounds
3 stalks Celery, chopped
1 1/4 cup Merlot
1/4 cup Beef Broth
1/2 cup dried Figs, halved
1 medium Organic Onion, quartered
1 cup sliced Mushrooms
Fresh Chives, to taste
Fresh Parsley, to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven. 

Toss meat with flour and season with salt and pepper.  Add meat in small batches.  Brown and remove to bowl.

Add carrots and celery.  Cook for three minutes until slightly softened.




Add the cup and a quarter of Merlot wine.   Scape bottom of pan to remove browned bits.  Add beef broth, figs, onion and mushrooms. 

Cover with lid.  Bake for two hours and fifteen minutes. 

Remove lid and stir.  Bake uncovered for an additional thirty minutes until sauce thickens.




Top with fresh herbs before serving.

3 comments:

mjskit said...

What a great meal! These are some of my favorite dishes. I love the use of the dried figs.

TinaRBK said...

This is an interesting as well as comforting meal. Love the idea of using two kinds of meat in here and wine goes so well with beef. Between the ingredients and the pictures, this looks like a winner-thanks for sharing this tasty recipe.

janet@cupcakestocaviar said...

This sounds delicious!

Congrats on the weight loss. That's awesome!