Saturday, November 19, 2011

Balsamic Dijon Lamb Steaks

Balsamic Dijon Lamb Steaks

I saw these lamb steaks in my supermarket and I had to try them.  These are slices of leg of lamb cut thicker like a steak.  I made a simple marinade and I pan seared these steaks until browned on one side and then I finished them in a hot oven.

My marinade does not include salt.  I didn't want to draw the moisture out of the lamb.  You want to do this any time you anticipate marinated meat is going to cook very quickly.  

I also waited and added the salt I used for seasoning the lamb after it finished cooking. 


Lamb in the Marinade

For each 3/4 pound of Lamb Steaks you will need -

For the Marinade:

2 ounces of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
2 cloves Garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning

Combine all ingredients into a bowl and pour over the lamb.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours for the best flavor.

When you are ready to cook -

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Dab some of the excess marinade off the lamb with a paper towel.  This will help with the browning process.
  • Sprinkle a little freshly ground Black Pepper on both sides of the lamb, to taste. 
  • Preheat a cast iron skillet on high with a little Olive Oil added to the pan. 
  • Cook lamb steaks on one side, about one and one half minutes until browned. 
  • Flip and place the pan into the hot oven for about three minutes until the steaks come up to medium rare.  Carryover cooking time will occur, so adjust time accordingly.
  • Sprinkle with salt before serving. 
  • Let lamb rest a few minutes before you slice into it.

I served the lamb will Dilled Mashed Potatoes and
Wilted Spinach with Olive Oil and Nutmeg

Have a great weekend! 

I'll be back next week with Thanksgiving recipes and leftover ideas.

1 comment:

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Oh my! I bet that was extraordinary! I haven't had lamb in ages...