Friday, November 11, 2011

Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops with Green Dressing



As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, Foodbuzz and Green Giant ® provided me with a free sample of Green Giant ® Vegetables.

New dietary guidelines suggest that we fill half our plate at each meal with fruits and veggies.  If you read this blog regularly, you know I love my veggies.  Veggies, whole grain, regular exercise and moderation - and I am on my way to a new me!

True story: When my husband, Dan, and I started dating thirteen years ago, he had me over for dinner.  His idea of  "meat and veggies" was frozen chicken Cordon Bleu and Jalapeño Poppers. I am so glad that Dan finally learned how to cook! 

Dan still doesn't like to eat his vegetables.  I know many of you out there have the same problem with significant others, kids, or maybe you really don't like to eat your veggies all that much.  These recipes will get you to rethink what's on your plate.


Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Pork Chop
with Green Dressing

Instead of stuffing my pork chops with stuffing, I used Green Giant ® Valley Steamers Broccoli & Cheese Sauce, and I served the "stuffing" on the side.  I coated the chops with crispy Lemon Panko breadcrumbs.  I used the remaining portion of the veggies from the bag to make a delicious dressing. 




I used a 12 ounce package of Green Giant ® vegetables.  If you plan on making this dish for four people, use the family-sized 24 ounce package.  Each package yields three servings.  Each serving is only 45 calories. 

I am not a big fan of frozen broccoli, but these veggies were really good. Even after steaming in the microwavable bag and then baking in the oven, the broccoli still had a nice crunch.   I believe that Green Giant ® went to great pains to ensure that the Valley Steamers taste market-fresh.

Interesting Tip:  Frozen veggies retain more nutrients than fresh.  You can buy veggies at the farmer's market like I do every weekend.  But the freezing process is what keeps the goodness in.

These pork chops are so juicy.  The cheesy goodness just makes the filling in the chops so delicious.

Makes 2 Servings:

Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops:

1 cup Green Giant ® Valley Steamers Broccoli & Cheese Sauce
4  boneless Pork Loin Chops, pounded to 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 Egg, Beaten
1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
2/3 cup Lemon Panko Bread Crumbs

Other:  Butter Flavored Cooking Spray; fresh chopped Parsley

Note:  You will need toothpicks for securing the pork chops

For the Dressing:

1 cup Water
1 cup boxed Stuffing Mix
1/2 cup Green Giant ® Valley Steamers Broccoli & Cheese Sauce, minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Steam vegetables in the microwave per package directions.  Let cool.

Pound pork chops to 1/4 inch thick.




Place 1/2 cup of the Broccoli & Cheese mixture on one pork chop.  Top with second pork chop.  Secure with tooth picks.  Repeat with other chop(s).

Dredge chops in flour.   Beat hot sauce and egg together.  Dip chops into egg mixture, and then turn over into Panko bread crumbs until coated.




Spray baking dish with cooking spray.  Add chops to dish.  Spray top of chops with more cooking spray.

Break for 45 minutes until pork is cooked thoroughly and Panko begins to slightly brown.  Adjust cooking time as needed.

To make the dressing.

Bring water to boil.  Add stuffing mix.  Remove from heat.

Add remaining chopped vegetable mixture to stuffing.  Stir.

Turn mixture in a pie pan sprayed with cooking spray and even out in pan.  Bake along side pork chops for 20 minutes until top of dressing begins to brown.



Top chops and dressing with fresh parsley.




1 comment:

TinaRBK said...

You did put this product to a delicious use! The idea of using it to stuff pork chops is genius. We always buy steamers instead of canned veggies (more healthier). I will make a note to get these ingredients the next time I am at the grocers so I can enjoy at my house. Was needing some new recipes for chops anyway. Have a great weekend.