Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Slow Cooked Cabernet Braised Short Ribs

I was looking for the perfect way to braise short ribs, while cutting out some of the fat and calories.  By George, I believe I found it!  At least according to my family.  Fall off the bone good!  The sauce was primo. 

I did not use any flour to make my gravy.  I added very little extra salt (sea salt).  The trick is to find short ribs that are very meaty with very little fat.  You know these are done when the meat is still on the bone but you can use a butter knife!

Like butt-a! 

Note:  If you can figure out a way to make this same dish even healthier, I welcome your suggestions.  See, I’m not just blogging to entertain, but to learn.  I am certain that my readers have a few tricks up the old proverbial sleeve.  Feel free to post a comment.

Here you go –

Slow Cooked Cabernet Braised Short Ribs

Cab Braised Short Ribs over Whole Wheat Noodles

1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 ½ lbs. bone in Beef Short Ribs
Sea Salt, to taste
Freshly Ground black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 medium Sweet Onion, quartered
½ clove Elephant Garlic, thinly sliced
½ bottle Cabernet Sauvignon wine  (325 ML)
2 tablespoons Corn Starch
1/2 cup Water
A few shakes of Browning Sauce (optional)
3 oz. Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon Beef Bouillon
½ teaspoon dried Rosemary
½ teaspoon dried Thyme
1 dried Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup sliced Mushrooms

Add oil to heavy skillet and heat.  Season ribs with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders.  Brown short ribs on all sides, working in batches.  Transfer ribs to preheated (low) crock pot. 

You don’t want to put hot food in a cold crock, so make sure that you heat it up first!

Add onion and sliced garlic. 

Now that's Gahhhhlic!
I like to use Elephant Garlic, thinly sliced for two reasons.  Elephant garlic is so much sweeter.  This recipe isn’t about the garlic. It’s about the ribs.  Also, when sliced thin and slow cooked, the garlic will just fade into the sauce, giving it this lovely, lovely yummm…

Add the wine. 

Use a wine that you would like to drink, but don’t spend a lot of money.  I found this great California wine for $2.99 at Aldi that worked perfectly for this dish. 

Save the good stuff to serve WITH the meal. 


Stuff I Used

Whisk cornstarch into water.  Whisk in browning sauce, if using.    

Pour over ribs and wine.

Stir in tomato paste and bouillon. 

Add rosemary, thyme and bay leaf.

Cook on low for 8 hours.  Turn cooker to high.  Stir in Worcestershire Sauce and sliced mushrooms.  Boil for five minutes, then turn the cooker to warm until you are ready to eat.




Why did I add the Worcestershire sauce at the end?  Simple.   I find that Worcestershire sauce can turn very “peppery” if cooked low and slow.  By adding it at the end, you get the flavor as you would if you poured it right over a steak; only it marries so nicely into the sauce.  This is a great tip any time you add it to any sauce you are making. 

SUGGESTION: Dish up over whole wheat noodles!

Slow Cooked and So Good

Now, I hear there area a few skeptics out there about whether or not the food I've posted so far qualifies as "healthy."  Let me tell you, I have lost about 40 lbs in the last year and half just by exercising and cutting out key fattening ingredients and replacing those with "flavor."

Yes, it took me that long to lose the weight but it didn't come on overnight. 

Losing it slow and steady is the best way!  Tomorrow night, I'll post one of my "before" pics so that you can this stuff really works.  Of course, moderation is the key. 

I don't sit down and eat three slices of Lasagna!    And I work it off with my exercise DVD's.

I don't want to leave those who opt for a more traditional "diet - diet" out. 

Tomorrow...  BAKED COD!

No comments: