Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Game Day Food

Game day food is DELICIOUS, but it's not always  figure friendly. 

My Steelers were in the playoffs this weekend – and unless you’ve been living on some deserted Island since Sunday, you probably know that we are Superbowl bound. 



Besides having my Terrible Towel on hand, which is thoughtfully modeled here by our dog, Eddie, I wanted the snacks for tonight’s game to be both tasty and healthier options.

Now keep in mind, those man football shirts make me look like a linebacker, so don’t let that fool you. I don’t think any woman looks great in a football shirt.  I also did a bit too much "Aqua Net" on the "do," but who cares what you look like when you’re watching the big game, right?   Please judge the content, not the style, as I might not be ready for prime time just yet.  LOL.   Let me tell you, these recipes work.  You will lose weight if you just learn to sub out butter and salt for other flavors. 




Parmesan Pierogie Popper

I started with a Parmesan Pierogie Popper.  These are simply frozen mini Cheddar Cheese and Potato Pierogie drizzled with Olive Oil, light Parmesan Cheese mixed with Garlic Powder (equal parts).  I bake them at 400° for 18 – 20 minutes until golden brown.

Garlic Buffalo Wings

These wings are lighter because they are marinated first to give them a little kick.  You can drastically cut down on the amount of butter and salty hot sauce that you put on them.  Of course, you can adjust this to taste.  I like to bring the hot sauce with me to the table.

I cut fresh chicken wings by separating the wing part from the drumette.  I marinated the wings for about an hour and a half in –


2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Bottled Minced Garlic
¼ cup Olive Oil


Once ready, I grilled the wings up on an indoor grill.  Hey no comments about the grill pan on my flat top stove.  It’s my stove and I’ll do what I want to.  Seriously, indoor grilling is fantastic when it’s cold or rainy outside.


Note:  Before I receive emails, yes, I know I said “Dan and I” instead of “Dan and me!”  




Grill the wings for a few minutes on each side until they get those nice grill marks.  Transfer wings to a cooking sheet topped with a rack and sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake wings in 400° for 18-20 minutes (longer depending on your oven and how meaty are the wings).  You want to make sure that the juices run clear.   Some ovens might require that the wings be baked for 30 minutes.  I suggest also putting them under the broiler for five minutes at the end to crisp them up.





Once the wings are cooked to your liking, toss them in two tablespoons of melted butter and two tablespoons of good quality Hot Sauce.  I prefer a Mexican hot sauce; more of less to taste, of course.
Serve the wings with Celery sticks and baby Carrots!  I like to make my -


Lite Green Onion and Gorgonzola Dressing


One Package of Green Onion Dip Mix (suggest Hidden Valley®)
16 oz Light Sour Cream
4 oz crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
¾ cup 2% Milk
Teaspoon Dry Dill Weed
Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Chives

Whisk together all ingredients.  Chill for at least an hour.

Yes, I did forget to mention the Gorg cheese on the video...  Sorry....  Honest truth... game was on and my camera man (Dan) had better things to do...




Try these dishes on Superbowl Sunday and let me know what you think. 


Go Steelers!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I can't wait to try these recipes for Superbowl Sunday! I will be rooting for the Steelers while raving about your recipes!

Orlanda said...

Wow! Those Garlic Buffalo Wings sound delish. I have to try some of them. It's -30 outside but we'll be toasty warm with your buffalo wings.