Friday, January 14, 2011

All That and a Can of Beans

I love cannellini beans.  They are inexpensive, good for you, and so delicious.  When it's cold outside, I love cooking up a big pot of beans and greens soup. 

Tonight I opted for a quick Beans, Greens, and Turkey Sausage Pasta.  

I took one nice head of Escarole along with cannellini beans, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, chicken stock, dry white vermouth, nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. 

I used hot turkey sausage, which I crumbled.   I also used whole wheat penne pasta.  Fresh ingredients are the key to making this quick dish taste great.


Fresh is the key!

Turkey Sausage, Beens, Greens and Pasta!

All you need is some parmesan cheese and crusty bread and you are good to go!
Sometimes, it's the easy and quick dishes that are most tasty.  What a great, budget conscious meal for any day of the week!


If you’re opting for a soup recipe, you should also take a look at Mama Pirri’s Pepperoni Pasta e Fagioli
  
Mama Pirri

mAMA PIRRI is Dan’s Mom, Emily.  Her recipe is so simple.  She cooks Ditalini and then uses the starchy past water as a base for her soup. 
In a small pot to the side, she cooks olive oil, crushed red pepper and granulated garlic.  She adds a few tablespoons of red spaghetti sauce to the pasta and starchy water, and then adds the beans.  She combines the oil mixture with the “soup,” and then adds salt and pepper to taste. 
Sliced pepperoni is added at the end.
I have to tell you, it’s so easy but it’s one of the most delicious recipes for this soup I’ve ever tasted.  If you want both of these recipes, please visit our community page on Facebook this weekend.  Both will be listed under a new discussion thread called “Budget Healthy Meals.”
I am currently working on a new recipe for Tuscan Bean Soup.  Check in frequently, as I am hoping to have that one perfected in the coming weeks.
On Monday, I will be talking Goat Cheese!  I’ll have several full recipes posted on this page for Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Basil and Goat Cheese; Goat Cheese Smashed Potatoes; Goat Cheese and Spinach Omelets. 
Mama Pirri's Pasta e Fagioli!


1 comment:

Jessica Vogelsang said...

Sounds delish. I'm a huge fan of cannelini beans too. Gotta get the nutmeg in with those greens!