Saturday, January 22, 2011

DAN'S SAKI FRIED RICE

I know this post is about Fried Rice.  Please allow me to digress for a moment. 

When you write and test recipes, sometimes you have great days and other days… eghh…  (that’s the technical term).  My Chimichurri Sauce left a little to be desired.  It was okay, but not post-worthy. I will post no recipe before it's time.  Oh, I think that lingo was taken years ago. 

Seriously -- Not that I think that there is anyone sitting around waiting for me to post a recipe.  People who know me know that I am way more humble than that.   I just like to deliver what I promise.  That is the type of person that I am.


Steak Tacos

Don’t get me wrong;  Dan and I had a great meal of Steak Tacos and his Magnificent  FROZEN Margaritas on Friday night. 

Long story short...  I am posting his cocktail recipe under a new thread on the Facebook community page -- “Just for Cooking” -- called "Libations."  The great thing about his cocktail, is you can use the leftovers to marinate meat, chicken or fish. 

More about that this week!  

I promise that I will continue to work on the Chimichurri until it’s perfected.

Now, for the real topic of tonight's post --

The great thing about food is that it that you can journey to places that you never imagined with the single flip of a spatula or the lift of a fork.

Tonight, we took a trip away from our Friday night venture to Mexico (although I guess Chimichurri is technically Central-South American) -- to Japan.  No, we didn’t win the Lotto.  Darn! 

My friend, Charles, is my favorite political debating partner.  He is also a vegetarian.  He asked me for a few simple veggie dishes that he could whip up – he does not cook. 


Dan Uses a Pancake Griddle!
 My husband, Dan, my favorite partner in life, makes THE best veggie fried rice, hands down. He cooks it on a pancake griddle.

Now, the recipe does contain scrambled egg, so if you really want to make this vegetarian, you can leave that ingredient out or add Tofu (just don’t tell Dan about it).  

Dan thinks Tofu is best used for patching tires, but Charles can debate him on that on another day.

Asian Portabella and Peppers
Keeping in that spirit, I made a great Spicy Portabella Pepper “Steak” to go along side of the rice – This is an Asian recipe that breaks all the rules, I sauté it and then bake it in the oven. 

I promise I will post this simple recipe on the Facebook community page this week! 

I wish I could post everything here but it would make these blogs waaay too long!

You can add on any appetizer you like.  We opted for store bought Lobster Rangoon.  You can do veggie spring rolls, too. 

I make a great, simple dipping sauce that I know you will want to try.  It's so difficult... NOT! 

It's 1/2 cup of Sesame Teryaki sauce mixed with One tablespoon plus one teaspoon of Chili sauce

Lobster Rangoon with my "Special Sauce"
 Oh, and tomorrow – Go Steelers!

Yeah, I grew up in Pittsburgh.  Tomorrow, I will be posting my first video on Just for Cooking -  Game Day Treats. 

You’ll want to check those videos out!  With Superbowl Sunday right around the corner, I've got a great lower calorie grilled wing recipe with a ranch, Gorgonzola dipping sauce and baked, yes BAKED Pierogies!


DAN'S SAKI FRIED RICE:

2 cups cooked Long Grain White Rice*
2 tablespoons Canola Oil
1/8 cup diced Carrot (small dice)
1/8 cup diced sweet Onion (small dice)
¼ cup frozen Peas
1 Large Egg (Optional)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons Butter, divided
¼ Low Sodium Soy Sauce
¼ cup Saki
Sprinkle of Sesame Seeds (Optional)
Chopped Scallions (Optional)

Cook rice per directions on box. 

*Hint:  Add about a half of a cup of extra water than what the box says, and once you cover it, reduce the heat and don’t open it until the rice is done.  Once rice is cooked, add two tablespoons of the butter and set rice aside.

While rice is cooking, heat a stove top or electric pancake griddle or the largest non-stick skillet you have on hand.  Heat to 375° – 400°.   If you don’t have an electric griddle, toss a few drops of water on your pan and if it sizzles, it’s ready to go.

Dice carrots and onion.  Mix with peas and set aside.   Set aside. 

Spread canola oil on griddle. 

Crack egg to the side of the rice pile and scramble.  While egg is cooking, add salt and pepper to rice.

Add rice.  Spread rice evenly on griddle, forming a rice pile.  Add vegetables in the center of the rice pile.  Using two spatulas mix it all together, turning rice frequently; flattening it out as you go, so the vegetables cook evenly.  Add remaining butter. 

Once the egg is scrambled, add to rice mixture.  Mix again, flattening rice out as you go.


Dan Adds the Saki -  One for the Pot, Two for the Cook!
Note:  The entire cooking process once rice is on the griddle should take you about five minutes to this point.

Add soy sauce.  Cook rice for about five minutes more, turning rice frequently so it does not burn.Add Saki, and cook approximately five minutes, until the rice is a nice golden brown color.


This should be on your list as a "must try!" 

Dan's Saki Fried Rice

1 comment:

Robin said...

Wow, Fantasitc blog! To bad I am reading it at 12:44 am because it made me really hungry! Dan's Saki Fried Rice looks delish and the presentation was also very nice! I am looking foward to the cooking video's and I was going to suggest it. I have a snack that I am making for the Super bowl that is pretty easy and tasty. Lil Smokies wrapped in bacon and blanketed in brown sugar. Bake at 350 until bacon is cooked and sugar turns into a yummy syrup when mixed with the bacon dripping( nicer word for grease) but bacon grease+brown sugar= delicious! NOW the Challenge for you and DAN is what Alcohol to pour over it before baking, lol!
<3 you! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~robin