Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Coming Soon and Grilled Wild Caught Whiting, Spring Onion Butter over Roasted Tomato and Mushroom Relish

Coming SOON,  a new and improved look for the blog!   I had intended to take a brief hiatus to do some writing, but we had a few important family issues to attend to.  All things in good time.

If you've been following "Just for Cooking," don't worry.  All of your favorite recipes are still here.  Just be sure to add the new URL mksfabfood.blogspot.com or click on the list to your right.

On my new blog, I plan on also covering fun features from time to time.   It's not going to be all about recipes.  I might talk to chefs or post cooking tips.  But I'll still be posting some of the recipes I know my followers enjoy (as below).   Each recipe is going to be a little more upscale.  You can have fun with food, even if you're on a tight budget like we are.

Look for a new look in the next coming weeks.  What you see here below is the way my blog looked in the past.  Each week, I am going to try to top my own goals of better visual presentation.

I say "each week" because I don't plan on posting as frequently as in the past.  I want to take my time with the post. 

And at this time, I'm not planning on posting any ads.  I think they are distracting.   Do you really want to see an ad for toilet paper while you're reading a food blog?

It's good to be back.

 

Here we go with a sample recipe. 

Serves 2

Ingredients:
3 tbs. cold butter, divided
2 tbs. olive oil, divided
1 large or two small spring onions, chopped (green scallions reserved)
1 tsp. dried Herbes de Provence
1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup semi-dry white wine
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
4 button mushrooms, sliced thin
2 Whiting fillets; about 5 ounces each
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
Pinch or two of coarse sea salt, to taste

Other:
Cooking Spray for Grill
Fresh lemon slices

In a medium sauce pan, combine one tablespoon of the butter, 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, the chopped spring onion, and 1/2 of the dried Herbes de Provence. Sauté for three minutes until the onions soften. 

Add the lemon juice and the wine. Reduce by half. Cut in one tablespoon of the butter. Once the sauce congeals, add a little of the green part of the onion, to taste. Pour the sauce into a freezer safe bowl. Place the bowl into the freezer, uncovered, for at least one half hour.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray grill with cooking spray and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Drizzle tomatoes with half of the remaining olive oil and bake for about ten minutes until the tomatoes "pop."

At the same time, add the remaining olive oil and the remaining tablespoon of the butter to to a small sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and the remaining Herbes de Provence. Cook for about five minutes until the mushrooms brown.

Season the fish with the lemon pepper and salt. Grill over medium-high heat for three minutes each side, turning only once.

Right before plating, remove the butter mixture from the freezer. Microwave on high for about one minute. 





To plate: Place the roasted tomatoes and the mushrooms on the bottom of the plate. Top with a grilled fish fillet. Top fillet with a few drizzles of the onion butter and a little of the fresh green scallions. Top with a lemon slice.

I'll see you again soon!