Sunday, March 17, 2013

How to Grill a Perfect Beer Can Chicken




Welcome to "MK's Fabulous Food Adventures;" the blog formerly known as "Just for Cooking."  All of your favorite "JFC" recipes are still here.  Just click on the links. 

Be sure to change your URL if you have it saved so that you can find me now.  I know it will take some time for my old posts to catch up on my new URL... but I think the new URL is easier to remember. 

With this new blog concept, it's not just going to be about the recipes.   I'll sometimes post interesting features or local events (like a trip to the Farmer's market).  Sometimes I will post a technique -- like today!

Today's post is less about the recipe and more about "how to." You can really put any rub you like on a beer can chicken.   I will give you my secret here because it's just that good -- you will want to try it.  But the technique is what really sets it apart from other recipes.

So here we go: 



My recipe is for a gas grill. 
Start with a 3 1/2 to 4 pound all natural chicken.
Rub the chicken with equal parts of -
Worcestershire sauce
Jerk seasoning (your favorite brand)


DO NOT RUB OIL ON THE CHICKEN!   I know many of the celebrity chefs tell you to do this.  However, look at the crispy skin I achieved by just using the two ingredients above.   

Note:  The skin will give off enough grease. If you use oil as in some recipes, you risk ending up with a charred chicken.

Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.

Drink half of the beer.

Place the beer can (half empty -- or half full if you are an optimist) - into cavity of the chicken.

Secure the chicken on the rack as such.  Use of of these great tools to keep your beer can secure on the grill.

Close the lid or cover.   Grill over high heat for fifteen minutes.

 TURN OFF THE CENTER BURNER on the grill to create indirect heat.  Continue to grill for one hour, checking frequently to be sure that the skin isn't burning or that your chicken hasn't toppled over.  Sometimes when the cans heat up, this can happen.

Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the breast area and 180 degrees in the thigh area and juices run clear. 

Carefully remove the chicken from the beer can and base.  Plate. 

Baste with Heinz 57 sauce!  (That's my secret).  

Let chicken rest at least 10 minutes before carving/serving. 



Meanwhile, you can awe all of your neighbors by taking interesting pictures of your food on the porch. 

My really special tip:  Just be sure to have a glass of wine with you or a beer (or something that looks like wine or beer if you don't drink) while taking food pictures on the porch.  Otherwise the neighbors might think you've totally lost it.  I have, but that's for another blog post.  ;.) 

Cheers!  I digress -

Here's how it should look.  See, told you that you could get crispy skin without any extra oil!





I hope you've enjoyed this brief chicken tutorial.   Look for more of these in the future and -- 

And -- some things never change:  I'll see you real soon!

Your cooking friend,

MK