Thursday, March 28, 2013

Poll: What is Your Favorite Spring Food? And Balsamic Chicken with Onion, Sun Dried Tomato and Fresh Mint


Balsamic Chicken with Onion, Sun Dried Tomato
and Fresh Mint
Served with Kohlrabi and Greens with Butter and Dill

I told you that I was going to post something fun this week.  I posted a question out on Facebook, "What is your favorite spring food?"

My friend, Debi, gave a variety of answers from deviled eggs, to carrot cake and strawberry rhubarb pie.  Her brother, Blaine, said he enjoys big salads.  While Eileen and Laura "The Diva" like their seasonal veggies (asparagus, fava beans, etc).  My favorite spring food is grilled leg of lamb.

Check out this recipe:  http://mksfabfood.blogspot.com/2011/04/grilled-spring-leg-of-lamb.html

So, which of my friends do you agree with?   Or do you agree with my favorite food?

Between now and April 4th, you can answer the poll to the right.   If you select "other," send me a message through Google and let me know what you like to eat this time of year.  If you have a food blog, send me the link to your recipe, and I'll give you a shout out here. 

Now for tonight's super simple recipe.   I tried the new product to make this dish.  I thought it came out really good.  If you can't find it or you don't have it on hand, simply use some herbed butter and olive oil or add a palm full of Italian Seasoning to butter and olive oil.

BTW - Mint is one of my favorite spring ingredients!

Serves 2.

4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
1/2 tbs. lemon pepper
2 blocks Land O Lakes Saute' Express Italian Herb blend*
1 cup slivered sweet onion
1/2 cup Julienne sliced smoked sun dried tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine or low sodium chicken broth
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
Pinch or two of coarse sea salt, to taste
Fresh chopped mint, to taste

Other:  Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sprinkle the chicken with the lemon pepper. 


In a saute' pan, add the Saute' Express. Once it melts into the pan, add the chicken. Cook for about four minutes until the chicken begins to brown. Flip and repeat on the other side. 

Remove the chicken to a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
 

 

Add the onions and the sun dried tomatoes to the same saute' pan.  Cook for about two minutes until the onions begin to soften.  Transfer the mixture to the same pan as the chicken (on top of the chicken).

Deglaze the saute' pan with the wine, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.  Pour the wine over the chicken, onion and sun dried tomatoes.  Sprinkle the chicken with balsamic vinegar and the salt.

Cover with tin foil.  Bake for one hour.  Let chicken rest about ten minutes before serving.




I'll see you soon with a great seafood dish!

Note:  No product was given to blogger and not an endorsement for the product mentioned in this recipe.