Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkin-Spiced Braised Chicken




Before I begin, if you are in the path of the super storm headed to the northeast this weekend, please be safe!  I will be praying for all of you!

And I apologize for being a little lax on the posting.  I have been super busy and then I came down with a bit of the bug last week.   I will be stepping it up very soon.

BTW - today is my 12th wedding Anniversary!  Happy Anniversary, Dan.  I think I'll keep him.  ;.)

This recipe is super easy.   It's perfect for a weeknight meal.  I love this recipe because it doesn't use any salt!  The flavor comes all from the spices and the beer in which you braise the chicken.

You can make any variation of this if you cannot find this beer: 



An Oktoberfest beer would work nicely, too.

Ingredients:

3 or 4 meaty chicken leg quarters, skin on
1 - 1 1/4 tbs. pumpkin pie spice
1 tbs. vegetable oil
pumpkin spiced beer (12 ounces)
1/2 cup slivered onion
1/2 tbs. ground sage
1 tbs. dried Marjoram

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.



Sprinkle chicken with pumpkin seasoning.

Heat oil in heavy braising pan or Dutch oven.  Add chicken, skin side down, and brown lightly.  '



Turn the chicken over.  Add the beer, the onion and the ground sage.  Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. 

Cover chicken with lid or tin foil.  Place in over and bake for about 45 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 170 degrees F and the juices run clear.




Enjoy!

I'll see you soon.