Monday, October 1, 2012

Authentic Polish Bigos (Hunter's Stew)



 


Okay, so my friend from Poland, Gosia, wins this round! Not that this was a competition, but consider this a "Bigos Throw down." Bobby Flay would be proud of us. ;.)

I told you when I posted my Bigos recipe last week that I would post hers as soon as she sent me the photos.

In case you missed it: http://welcometojustforcooking.blogspot.com/2012/09/bigos-hunters-stew-lightened-up.html

With permission, here is Gosia's authentic Bigos. All I can say is... "wow!" I know you will enjoy her recipe. 

I think her pictures are great, too.  I hope Gosia will contribute more guest posts.

Gosia's Tip: "The secret of Bigos is that it gets better as it's reheated. The more it is heated the better it gets. Serve with good bread."

Ingredients:
1 lb. smoked pork
1 lb. spareribs
1 lb. pork loin or pork ribs
2 cups water, divided
2 bay leaves
Two or three whole Allspice
Pepper, to taste
4 lbs. sauerkraut
1 cup Polish red wine
4 lbs. cabbage, finely chopped
Salt, to taste,
1/4 lb. bacon
1/2 cup onions, chopped
16 ounces fresh chopped wild mushrooms
1 ounce dried mushrooms, rehydrate overnight in red wine or water
1 lb. smoked kielbasa
2 cups dried plums
Two tablespoons tomato paste

Directions:



Brown pork and spareribs in a large heavy pot. 

Add smoked pork with one (1) cup of water, the bay leaves, allspice and pepper.

Simmer for one hour.



Add sauerkraut and one cup of wine.  Chop the cabbage finely and add to sauerkraut.

Add lots of salt and pepper, cover and simmer for one hour.  Remove lid and keep the pot on a very low simmer.






In a side pan, fry bacon until crisp.  Crumble into the pot with the sour kraut and cabbage.

Cut kielbasa into slices.  Add to the pot along with the dried plums.  Stir in tomato paste.

Bring to boil and reduce to simmer about 30 minutes.  Serve hot.



Gosia's family dog, Drago, loves this recipe, too!

Thank you, my friend, for sharing your recipe with me and my readers.  I wish I could be with you tonight in your lovely home, sharing a dish of this and a glass of Polish beer or sweet wine.

Note:  As stated, all photos and the recipe were used with permission. 

No comments: