Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Beef Short Rib and Cabbage Fettuccine


Before I get started tonight, I am truly humbled and appreciative that Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey sent me a nice letter and had his team enclose his favorite New Jersey Blueberry French Strata Recipe to boot!  ;.)   If you recall back in the summer, I did a special series of recipes where I featured the 13 colonies.  I had written to the Governor's office to share the link which I wrote about the state and he actually wrote me back!  He thanked me for sharing the information on this blog.  How cool is that?
 
I don't know if the gov actually makes the recipe for his friends and family, but my cooking hubby, who recently won the Gnarly Head Rib contest, would like to challenge the gov to a New Jersey French Strata "Throw down" some day. 
 
BTW -  Just for Cooking is also followed by our own Florida Governor Rick Scott's team via Twitter
 
**************
 
 
 
I love the fall.  October is my absolute favorite month of the year, and not just because it’s my birthday AND anniversary month.  The air seems to change.  I don’t care if it’s 50 degrees where you are now or 88 like it’s been down here in Florida; it’s comfort food time!

Comfort food doesn’t have to be unhealthy.  Take this dish:  It’s fettuccine pasta topped with pulled short ribs braised in a simmer sauce, along with sautéed green cabbage.  Yum!  It tastes as good as it looks.  Any time you can add fiber to a pasta dish, it helps to off set the fat your might get from the meat.   You won't have to go crazy on the treadmill after you eat this.

So, here we go -

Serves 4.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb. short ribs (about 4 meaty ribs)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tbs. olive oil and canola oil blend, or light olive oil, divided
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 jar of your favorite light pasta sauce (I used Gia Russa Red Wine Simmer Sauce)
1/4 lb. fettuccine pasta, cooked per package directions
1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin
1 tbs. butter
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. paprika
Grated Romano Cheese, to taste

Directions:

Dredge ribs in flour.  Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a heavy skillet.  Brown ribs on all sides.  Season liberally with salt and pepper and add to warm slow cooker.  Add 3/4 of the jar of pasta sauce.  Cook on high for two hours.  Reduce heat to low.  Continue to cook for two more hours.





Cook pasta per package directions.  While pasta is cooking, pull the beef from the rib bones and transfer to a sauce pan.  Add remaining sauce and warm through.




In a large skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil.  Add the cabbage and cook for about five minutes.  Add a little cold water (optional) to the pan to keep the cabbage from burning.  Add the butter, the garlic salt and paprika.

Once the cabbage is cooked, combine the beef with the cabbage and pasta.  Toss well
and add the cheese. 




Serve immediately.

Enjoy and see you soon.

No comments: