Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Key West Shrimp Risotto



Key West Shrimp Risotto
Oh my gosh.  If you love Shrimp and Risotto, and you also love over the top citrus flavors of lemon and lime, you are going to love this dish!  This Risotto is made with Corona Beer!  Yeah...


Baby Lime on our tree this past Spring

We grow limes in our back yard.  I picked some of those this evening to use in this dish.

I used Philly Cooking Creme (Savory Garlic) again tonight.  That gives this dish an extra layer of creaminess and a savory tang. 

I normally pull out a special pan when I make Risotto.  Tonight I got a little lazy so I made it in my nonstick skillet.  You know what?  I noticed the starchiness pulled out much more quickly in this pan.  Maybe I'm on to something? 

Ingredients:

3 cups Light or Fat Free Chicken Broth1 pound large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon Blackend Seasoning
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Butter
4 Green Onions, sliced
12 ounces All Natural or Organic Arborio Rice
12 ounces Corona Beer
Juice of one large Lime
Juice of one medium Lemon
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon Turmeric
Smoked Paprika, to taste (optional)

Heat chicken broth over low heat until warmed.

Sprinkle shrimp with blackened seasoning. 



Add oil to pan and melt butter.  Add white and light green parts of green onion along with shrimp.  Saute for three minutes.  Remove from pan and set aside.




Add rice.  "Brown" for three minutes - when I say, "brown," I mean lightly.  Do not burn.

Add 1/2 of the beer and 1/2 of the lemon and lime juice.  Cook over a low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed. 

Add the other 1/2 of the beer and the other half of the lemon and lime juice.  Cook over low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed.

Add 2 ladles of the chicken broth.  Stir frequently until all liquid is absorbed.  Repeat until all of the chicken broth is used up; about 20 minutes.

Add Parmesan and Turmeric. 

Top Risotto with cooked shrimp, the green scallions and paprika if desired.




Enjoy this dish with a cold Corona Light Beer with a lime.  If you prefer a glass of wine, try the Fish Eye 2010 South Easter Savignon Blanc. (Find it for $6.00 a bottle).  It's crisp and refreshing, with a hint of melon and grapefruit.  It showcases perfectly with this casual citrus-filled dish.

1 comment:

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Ooo this shrimp dish looks absolutely amazing! I'll have mine with a glass of wine please :)