Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cucumber and Feta Salad


Cucumber and Feta Salad

Before I get into the recipe tonight, I must digress.  I received exciting news this week that I was selected as a Grand Prize Winner in the "Country Woman" magazine contest.  I'll be featured in an early spring issue.  AND, my hubby, Dan, made the semi-finals of the Beringer Great Steak Challenge!  My husband is learning how to cook.  He's always been great at seafood and baking.  Now he's mastered sauces and steak rubs like you wouldn't believe.  Please join me in congratulating Dan!

Now on to the blog...

There are nights when even the most accomplished home cook takes some store-bought help.  Today was a busy day.  I opted to open a jar of Vodka Sauce and make rigatoni. 

Even on nights like this, your side dish doesn’t have to fall flat.  Sometimes the simplest sides can turn out amazing.  Here is one of my favorite salads for pairing with pasta.

This recipe serves 2, but you can double or triple it.




For the Salad:

1 large Cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/8 cup Diced Sweet Onion
2 ounces crumbled Feta Cheese with Herbs
7 (for good luck) Greek Olives, pitted and chopped

For the Dressing:

Juice of one half large Lemon
Splash or two of Red Wine Vinegar
1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ tablespoon dried Oregano
 teaspoon Sugar
Garlic Salt, to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Combine all salad ingredients into a salad bowl. 



Add Lemon and vinegar to a mixing bowl.  Slowly whisk in the olive oil.  Add remaining ingredients for the dressing and stir.

Pour dressing over salad and mix well. 




3 comments:

Judy said...

Looking at this makes me hungry. All my favorites!

Christine's Pantry said...

Great looking salad. Thanks for sharing.

Bubbe Bites said...

I may make this tonight. I have everything in my pantry. Thanks for sharing.