Monday, April 4, 2011

Sweet Potato Salad with Honey-Ginger Mayo


I've had so many requests for a Sweet Potato Salad recipe. And why not?  Sweet potatoes are so healthy and figure friendly.   I tried to keep the dressing for this salad that way, too. 

Sweet Potato Salad with Honey-Ginger Mayo
Makes 4 Servings


Sweet Potato Salad with Honey-Ginger Mayo




For this recipe, I suggest using a packaged sweet potato like this one. 



If you are using a product such as the one above, steam in the bag for about six minutes - that is less than the time recommended on the bag.  You want the potatoes to be firmer for the salad.  If you cannot find this product, wrap five small potatoes in a damp paper towel and cook them in your microwave about three minutes shy of what you would if you would be serving the potato right on the plate.  You can adjust the microwave time accordingly. 



Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.    

Once cooled but still slightly warm to the touch, the skin should peel right off. 

Dice the potatoes into bite-sized chunks along with the spring onion and the celery.  I recommend that you refrigerate for about an hour, undressed, so that the potatoes firm up a bit.

Honey-Ginger Mayo


¼ cup Canola Oil or Light Mayonnaise
2 to 2 ½ tablespoons of Honey (to taste)
½ tablespoon Ground Ginger (the kind you keep in your pantry)
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Pinch of Sea Salt, more or less to taste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
Dash of White Wine Vinegar
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chopped Chives or Culantro or Cilantro* (or a combination) – optional, but suggested

*I used chives and Culantro because that is what I grow in my patio herb garden.

Whisk all ingredients up to (and including) the vinegar in a medium glass mixing bowl.  Slowly drizzling in the olive oil, whisking as you go. 

Mix in herbs.   Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.

Carefully fold desired amount of the mayo into the potatoes, onions and celery mixture.  I use about half of the bowl of mayo.  If I make this up a ahead of time,  I put it back into the refrigerator and I reserve a little mayo to mix in right before I serve. 

Plate and top with Spanish Paprika.   

All dressed up and ready for YOUR next dinner!


So, what is for dinner?
My Sweet Potato Salad with Honey-Ginger Mayo
Spice Beer and Cinnamon Braised Pork Spare Ribs...
...basted with my insanely good Spiced Rum-Mango BBQ Sauce...*
Grilled Corn on the Cob

*I promise to share my fantastic Rib and my Spiced Rum-Mango BBQ sauce recipe with you very soon. 
For the Salad:
1.5 pound Sweet Potatoes (about five small potatoes)
2 Spring Onions (green and white part), chopped
2 stalks of Celery, chopped
Spanish Paprika (for sprinkling on top)


The dressing for this dish does require a short list of ingredients, but trust me- it only takes a few minutes to toss this all together.  I guarantee, you will love this mayo so much, you will want to make a double batch.  Spread leftover Honey-Ginger Mayo on a turkey or ham sandwich the next day.  Yum!  If transferred to an airtight container, it will keep for about a week in your refrigerator.

No comments: