Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Soup Therapy!

Potato, Leek and Kale Soup
Bet you never thought you’d read that title on a food blog? 

One of the cool things about being a home cook over a pro is that you can admit your mistakes and move on.  Yeah, we do like to brag when we make the perfect leg of lamb or the most succulent Cornish hen. 

I’m sure, like me, if you cook, you’ve made mistakes.  Admit it, you have.  In fact, I might actually devote a blog to that one day.

Today’s attempt at soup was not a major mistake.  It was a bland, failed attempt at improvisation.  Long story short, I was in the grocery store on Sunday.  Sunday was the day that the cold front came into Central Florida.  Wimps that we are, I was freezing my be-hind off.  (That’s southern for another word, in case you didn’t figure it out). 

The woman at the cooking station was giving out samples of Potato Soup with Sausage and Spinach.  I tasted it. It was pretty darn good, but not fantastic.  I took a recipe and I proceeded to purchase alternative ingredients to make it even “better.” 

I selected turkey sausage over pork.  Got to stick to the diet.  Plus, I had all that leftover prime rib and ham yesterday.  I decided to use Kale and Leeks instead of Spinach and Onion.  Of course, I have to up the amount of water, as I had to braise the Kale.  So I would add extra bouillon from what the original recipe called for, and I’d even get a little fancy and add some freshly grated nutmeg and a bit of parmesan cheese at the end.  Oh, and I was going to use fat free half and half instead of heavy cream.  Less Turbo Jam to have to do tomorrow!

I have a home office.  This recipe was so easy I could make it on my lunch hour and it would be ready in fifteen-to-twenty minutes to eat.  I assembled all the ingredients.  Oh, this was going to be so good.  I mashed the potatoes in the end using the hand blended method.  The texture was perfect!

Well, much to my dismay, it was bland.  It was good, but nothing to boast about.  So here I am; the author of a food blog.  I am humbly asking my readers for help.  I know you are out there.  Even though only four of you “follow” this page, the stats tell me that on average, we have over 80 viewers a day.  If you would be so inclined, either post a comment here as to how I can make this soup better, or go to our discussion thread on Facebook.   The link is listed under "Contact Us."

So, tonight I’m making Linguini with white clam sauce.  Another one of those recipes I haven’t perfected.  I’ll keep you posted!

No comments: