Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Frozen Appetizer Do-Over

I have to admit; for a healthy cook, I created a carb and cheese frenzy last night.  Yes, I did seven circuits with Jillian (DVD) today before I taught a web class at 7 am, thank you very much! 

I am woman.  Yeah!

Seriously –

I am STILL trying to excuse myself for eating so much last night.

AND --  Since we are going to be eating for a week straight come Friday night, I decided we needed to go a little lighter this evening.  It was 70 here in Florida today.  It was a good day/night to break out the seafood.  It’s going back down to 29 degrees on Monday night.

I also promised you a few nights ago that I was going to be the head cook of the Seafood Grotto in my holiday village when Yummy’s Bakery gig didn’t work out.  I am a woman of my word.  Always.  Tonight is about seafood.  Move over, cookie...


I often make a basic baked snapper with wine, butter, tomato, bell pepper and onion.  Our friend, Mike, was down this year with a health issue and my fish dish always seemed to cheer him up. Something about good food that makes everything all right.

HOWEVER --

As we all do as the holidays near, I often buy these boxed appetizers to make our parties easier.  No, sorry, I don’t make everything from scratch!  Who on earth has the time unless you have a contract with Food Network?

I had an extra box of crab cakes on hand.  I decided to bake them up, cool them, and use them as a crab stuffing for a snapper dish tonight.  Perfectly seasoned, the only thing I added to the crab stuffing was sautéed celery. 

I used Old Bay and white pepper on the fish.  Of course, I used Mike’s favorite tomato, onion and bell pepper with a little wine and butter as the inspiration. 

There is so much that you can do with a basic recipe like this to mix it up and make it your own.  This is a great way to use up those leftover holiday appetizers you bought for the party but never used!

If you have questions, post a comment.




Comment below to tell us your creative ways to use up those frozen, store-bought holiday appetizers!

No comments: