Sunday, May 27, 2012

Light Bacon Ranch Potato Salad with Herbs

Just in time for Memorial Day comes this light and easy recipe. It's potato salad, blended with a light buttermilk ranch dressing (your favorite), a touch of bacon - just enough to give this recipe the name and the flavor, and a few other simple ingredients including a variety of fresh herbs.  

Light Bacon Ranch Potato Salad with Herbs

Before I begin my post today, I have to make a brief comment.   I have been getting quite a few emails lately asking me to "advertise" for this site or for that by posting a link on my blog.   While I am completely flattered that anyone thinks I have enough reach to market their products or services, I do have a commitment with FoodBuzz which allows me to only run their advertisements.

A few of my blogger friends who run diet sites have asked to re-post a couple of my low calorie recipes, with permission.  But I do not endorse any diet or fitness plan on this site nor have I received any compensation from those bloggers nor they from me other than a mutual shout out of virtual friendship. 

But what about those slick Tastemaker videos?  Aren't those ads?

If you are not familiar with FoodBuzz, the Tastemaker program offers bloggers an opportunity to try new products.  We are selected by FoodBuzz to participate, and we must disclose when we received products for those campaigns.  

Have I ever posted a link on this blog? 

Yes, I have.  On a few RARE occasions over the last year,  I have posted a few links where you can find unique or local products, but those were not solicited in any way. Those were part of my personal travel posts and/or instances when I used a local product and I wanted to give my readers additional information.    I do not endorse those products and I believe I have clearly stated that on those posts.

Bottom line:  Links for hire - not my gig.  Sorry.  ;.)

I thank you for respecting my agreement with FoodBuzz.  If you have questions about a FoodBuzz advertisement opportunity or the Tastemaker program, please contact FoodBuzz directly for more information.

Back to the fun stuff...

We are "hunkered down" for a tropical storm here in Central Florida. So I made enough of this dish to pair with a beer can chicken today and hot dogs and hamburgers tomorrow. Yes, we do grill in inclement weather down here.   If the power goes out, we often have no choice.

Here is tonight's featured recipe:

Makes about six servings.

Ingredients: 

1 pound red potatoes, sliced into quarters (larger potatoes cut into eight pieces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup buttermilk ranch dressing (light variety - your favorite brand)
1 hard boiled egg (see my tip below), chopped
1 slice bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped dill

Add potatoes to boiling water and salt (more if desired).  Cook for about 20 minutes until fork tender.  Do not over cook.

Drain potatoes and add to a mixing bowl.  Add the ranch dressing while the potatoes are still warm.  Cool to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate over night.





Tip:  If you do not have time to hard boil an egg, add the egg to a microwave egg poacher and cook for about 1 minute and 15 seconds on high heat.  Let the egg cool before slicing, or slice hard boiled egg.  Add to potato salad mixed with the ranch dressing.

Cook one slice of bacon until crispy.  (I like to do this in the microwave as well).  Let the bacon cool and then crumble into the salad.

Add smoked paprika and the freshly chopped chives.   Mix well.  Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.




I hope you have a great Memorial Day.  To all the men and women who have served, this day is for you.  I am happy to report that my nephew, Josh, has returned safely from active duty and he got married the other weekend.  Welcome home, Josh.

We especially remember all of our fallen heroes on this special day.

Have a great day with family and friends, and may everyone in the path of the tropical storm stay safe and dry.

8 comments:

Judy said...

Minus the egg it sounds GREAT! (you know me and eggs) :)

TinaRBK said...

This salad looks tasty! Funny that I have never made a potato salad with red potatoes-we always use the big baking potatoes. I will need to try this recipe as well as the red potatoes. Enjoy the day!

Elpiniki said...

This looks really delicious! I love potatoes anyway, so I d surely love this one!

Akila said...

once have tasted in my company party.... just love it.... thanks for sharing...

Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

Akila said...

happily following you...

Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Great flavors in this salad. Love it.

Carole said...

Lovely salad. It would be great if you linked it in to today's Food on Friday which is collecting salad recipes.

Unknown said...

Will do this weekend, Carole. ;.)