Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Greek Shrimp Flatbread

I am a corporate trainer by day.   I was at my company's annual software users' group conference these past few days in Clearwater Beach, Florida.  All I did was teach and eat the really good food that goes along with a training conference. 

Unfortunately for me, the food is very good at the resort where we held the conference.  I think I gained back the three pounds I lost this week.  Hello exercise DVD's.

I digress...  So when I arrived home this evening, I wanted something light. 

This dish is a perfect and fresh summertime substitute for pizza. 


Greek Shrimp Flatbread

Serves 4 - (Serving size:  ½ flatbread)

2 Tandoori Naan  (4 ounces or more each)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic salt

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 cup crumbled Feta cheese, divided

2 cups Arugula, washed and dried

6 Greek olives, pitted and chopped

2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar

20 large cooked shrimp (about 2/3 pound), chopped into four pieces each

4 large fresh chopped basil leaves for garnish (optional)

Preheat indoor grill pan.



Combine olive oil, garlic salt, pepper and oregano.  Brush one side of both Naan with the olive oil mixture.  Top each Naan with half of the oregano and ¼ of the Feta cheese.

Add Naan to indoor grill pan (topped side up).  Grill for three or four minutes.




Top each Naan with ½ of the arugula, half of the olives and a ¼ of the balsamic vinegar.



Add remainder of the oil and garlic salt to a sauté pan.  Add cooked shrimp and cook for no more than one minute.   Top each Naan with half of the shrimp and the remainder of the feta.
Turn on broiler.

Add grill pan to broiler.   Broil Naan for no more than five minutes each.  Less is actually better.  You just want the feta to begin to melt.


Top with remaining balsamic (drizzle) and fresh chopped basil. 


Oh, and BTW, my new friend, Carole, who writes Carole's Chatter featured one of my steak recipes last week.  Check out her blog.  Lots of good stuff there!

See you soon!

6 comments:

Carole said...

Looks great. Have a great week

Unknown said...

Thanks, Carole. I added in a shout out to you at the end of this blog (sorry I had forgotten to do that last night), and I also added you to the "Links you will like."

Carole said...

How very kind of you.

TinaRBK said...

Very creative how you turned a flatbread into a flavorful meal! I normally would think italian,so bravo to you for bringing out the best of greek flavors to top this bread. Delicious.

Akila said...

wow very yummy and new to me....

Event: Dish Name Starts With L
Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks like a perfect meal to me.