Monday, March 26, 2012

The Versatile Blogger Award


My new friend, Tess, at Slow Cooking Kitchen nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award.  Thank you Tess.  Please be sure to check out her fabulous blog!

I was surprised and honored and humbled all at the same time. 





Note:  This is an award we bloggers give to each other.  We "pay it forward" so to speak.  It  helps bloggers to discover other food bloggers. 

There is NOTHING as special as being recognized by a fellow blogger.  We all know what it takes to put out a half decent post a few times a week: 

The bleary-eyed 1 AM editing; spell check doesn't know "food words" so you concentrate so much on those and you end up misspelling words like "food;"

the spammers and "link lurkers"  who try to post E-bay links on your blog or ... uhummm... other questionable things...

... and the friends who "unfriend you" on Facebook because you are so busy putting up your blog so you miss the midnight chat request - and they get insulted.

I want all of my readers who have blogs to know, I learn from each and every one of you every day.  I learn from those who don't have blogs who give me constructive feedback.  I think my recipes were always good but my pictures, not so much.  I am getting better.

One thing I've found since I began food blogging, food bloggers are the NICEST people! 

One of my early attempts
here at "Just for Cooking"
One of my more current photos... 
I learned from you!

About the Award:

Time to Celebrate!

When you receive this award, you are asked to pass on the love by nominating 15 people who inspire you as a blogger.  You are also to share 7 things that people might not know about you. 

Picking only 15 was hard task.  So many of you inspire me for so many reasons.  Some of you are great photographers.  Some of you write the best recipes in the world.  Some of you just make my day when I read your blogs.

I want everyone to know that I do spend time reading your blogs.  I bookmark your recipes and and I am often your "Phantom Buzzer" on Food Buzz.  With my busy schedule, I don't always get a chance to comment.   

To make this fair, I decided to narrow it down to the 15 people who helped me the most over the last year as I started up this food blog. 

You can pass on the love to others if you wish.  No pressure to participate. 

And, if you were not included here, please do not feel slighted.   

In MY book, all my blogger friends are Versatile Bloggers!

My "90 Miles Away" Chicken recipe was one of
my breakout recipes that got people to read my little blog.
I have no idea who those two guys are in the picture.  ;.)

90 Miles Away Chicken

Special thanks go out to:   

To Tess, at Slow Cooking Kitchen for nominating me,for her new friendship, and for her outstanding blog.

To my buddy an co-conspirator on my Facebook community page, Theresa, at Edible Love  

To my Tina at Flourtrader for the best baked goods and for always supporting me!
To Christine at Christine's Pantry for being one of the first to friend me and for the great historical info she posts!

To my new friend Jen at The Three Little Piglets; blessings and cheers! 

To my coach in the early days, Laurie, at  Food is Love; thank you!  

To my mentor and motivator, Laura, at  La Diva Cucina ; you are mah-ve-lous, dahling! 

To Warren at Table for Two Cookbooks for...well... just being Warren, and for inviting me to Florida Food bloggers event though my blog wasn't up to par with the rest.

To Ramona at Curry and Comfort for her wonderfully consistent blog and friendly disposition.

To Mike at The Culinary Lens for the most interesting food travel on the Internet.  You are going to be a star!  I am going to say I knew you when, sir! 

To my fellow cabbage roll lover, Steve at The Black Peppercorn for making me feel like I'm dining in his home with every great post. 

To "La Bella Vita" at Cucina49 for her ultra creative style and nice comments.

To Jessica at Cajunlicious for inspiring me to finish my own cookbook (her cookbook is now available on her blog).

To my new friend Elpiniki at Tomato Sauce ; the hardest working blogger in the world (is it five blogs?)

To Susan at  Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy  for inspiring me to be the best by being one of the best EVER!

Now, seven things you most likely don't know about me: 
Oh, boy -

1.  I have a total fascination with lighthouses.
2.  I always cry when I watch Hallmark holiday movies.
3.  My first words as a baby were "More tea."
4.  I was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha in College.
5.  I've had several paranormal experiences and would love to ghost hunt!
6.  I would rather travel over buying things; experiences make you richer!
7.  I am afraid of heights, but I once climbed Dunn's River Falls (with Mama Pirri) - went right to the top!  Mama Pirri milked the strong guys helping her up the falls. 

Again, if I didn't mention you here, it does not mean I don't love you! 

Thanks again, Tess.  I'll be back with more recipes this week!




12 comments:

SCK Recipes said...

Hi Mary Kay - what an awesome post!!! I was especially glad to read of your paranormal interests, I am also very into it and have a a great little group of friend ghost hunters. We'll have to share stories, and photos of them - wooohooo =)) Thanks for participating and sharing more about yourself! {hugs}

Christine's Pantry said...

Great post! Congrats on your award! Thank you so much for the award. I truly appreciate it. :-)

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Congrats on the award and good getting to know you a little better.

Theresa said...

Congrats my dear friend and thank you for spreading the love! You are quit an amazing women and you inspire me everyday. I feel blessed that you were put into my life...where would I be without all your nudges! haha. xoxo

TinaRBK said...

Congrats on the award, so sweet of you to pick me to pass it along to. Thanks for the sweet comment as well. You did make some great choices in the others as well.
Yes, we all have ups and downs when it comes to blogging, but I do think overall it has been a wonderful experience.
Cool that you love lighthouses. I do not live by the coast and I love nautical things. I have one room in my house decorated as such, but being so far inland nautical things are hard to come by. Enjoy the day!

Kitchen Simmer said...

Congrats on you award and thank you so much for passing it to me. I am so honored! :) I totally agree, being honored by your fellow bloggers is such a blessing. Thank you again. :)

LaDivaCucina said...

Wow, I'm really touched, Mary Kay! Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm glad I had an influence on you! Your photos HAVE really improved and I'm proud of all work you've put into creating this blog. Keep up the good work, girl!

Peter Block said...

paranormal must be a thing with us cooks. i have trained and studied various energy modalities. it is all an extension of who we really are!

Unknown said...

I agree. It's probably because we have creative minds and I believe that creative thinking often keeps your mind exercised and open to new things, instead of dismissing to logic right away. Although I know several logical grounded people who have had experiences too. But, Tess, no pictures. I didn't have a camera handy at the time.

Unknown said...

Anita, thank you. I love your blog, by the way. ;.)

Unknown said...

My living room is full of lighthouses and other nautical things. Dan was in the Navy so he likes it, too. I didn't grow up near water, but I just have this attraction for whatever reason.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the picture comment, Diva. Not having the advantage of natural lighting does cause it's challenges. I take so many of my pictures after the sun goes down because I work full time and unless it's a weekend, I blog at night. With summer coming and the days getting longer, my neighbors will now get to experience the other crazy side of me as I take more pics on of food on the porch. ;.) I do appreciate all your feedback in the beginning.