Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tomato Talk: Part I - Easy Greek Tomato Salad

As you can see from my blog header, I've been ready for the fresh produce that comes with the dawn of a new spring .   And I found this bounty of red, yellow and green tomatoes at my farmer's market this morning.  




This week , I am going to bring you three wonderful ways to enjoy these beautiful bursts of sunshine.   Tonight I'm starting with the simplest of the three recipes.

We spent the afternoon swimming up at Mama Pirri's.  Yes, I said swimming.  It's 85 degrees in central Florida today, although I won't rub it in.  Mama Pirri made these wonderful sausage subs for lunch today.  We just wanted something light and easy for dinner.  

I put together shrimp, pepper and onion packs.  I used a store-bought seasoning and threw the packs on the grill.  I made a little brown rice to go along side.

What goes better with shrimp than a fresh tomato salad?  I used low acid - sweet yellow tomatoes combined with vine ripened red, a little feta, olives, and tossed the salad in a way too simple vinaigrette.   Amazing!

Leftovers are great the next day.  Make the full recipe even if you are dining alone.

Serves 4

Easy Greek Tomato Salad

Ingredients:

1  yellow tomato, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 vine ripened red tomato, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
7-8 chopped mixed (pitted) olives (suggest Sicilian and Kalamata)
Crumbled feta cheese, to taste

Cut tomatoes and add to bowl. 

Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce, and olive oil.  Pour over tomatoes.  Stir to coat.


Tomatoes Marinating in the Dressing

Add garlic and stir to mix.   Let salad sit at room temperature for at least 1/2 hour.

Right before serving, add oregano, chopped olives,  and feta. 

Toss and serve immediately. 

Note:  I don't add any additional salt or pepper.  I think the olives and the cheese are salty enough.  The Worcestershire Sauce gives it a little  peppery "kick."  I would suggest having salt and pepper at the table and let your guests add their own.  I bet they won't want any after they taste this!

4 comments:

robin said...

This looks great! Now this looks like a recipe I could make, and your making me so hungry I wish it was not to late at night to make this! Your tomatoes look beautiful too!

TinaRBK said...

The idea of tomatoes without any greens in a salad is awesome. This dish is a great way to enjoy all the goodness that nature has to offer in tomatoes-yum! Your tomatoes look so fresh and vibrant-not surprising that you would be inspired by these. Have a great day!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Me too! I'm so glad that the weather is finally warming up! Although I might change my mind in another month...

Unknown said...

I hear you, Jen. About July I can't wait for October.