Monday, January 16, 2012

A Simple Side: Roasted Beets and Carrots

A quick side dish post tonight.  My friends tell me that I need to post more sides so here you go.


I had honestly never roasted beets before.  They were fantastic.  I used the beet greens in another recipe (which I am still perfecting so maybe I’ll show you that one another time).  BTW -  I decided that I also LOVE beet greens! 

Back on this dish; so simple and so good for you!

Roasted Beets and Carrots
Serves 4:

6 cups Boiled, salted water, divided into two pans
Three large Beets
2 large Carrots
2 tablespoons good quality flavored Balsamic Vinegar (preferably something sweet)
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt, to taste
Freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Carefully drop whole beets into boiling, salted water. 

Peel and chop carrots into large but bite-sized chunks.  Carefully drop carrots into the other pot of boiling water.

Remove carrots after ten minutes, or when fork tender, to a cookie sheet and let cool.



Remove beets after 20 minutes and let cool.  Once cool to the touch, peel beets.  The skins should come right off in your hands.

Chop beets into bite-sized cubes. 

Toss beets and carrots with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. 

Roast for twenty minutes.



Note:  I used a sweet cinnamon and pear balsamic vinegar from California.  You can use any that you like.  I do suggest that you find one that you consider to taste “sweet” for best results with this dish.  If you cannot find anything but regular flavor, you can drizzle on a little honey before you roast.   

No comments: