Monday, January 2, 2012

Setting SMART Goals for a Happy New Year!

Traditional New Year's Pork Roast
with Kraut, Apples and Figs

I hope that you had a wonderful holiday season and a Happy New Year. 

New Years are all about resolutions.   How many times have you set a resolution and it failed?

Perhaps it's because you were not being SMART about your resolutions:

When I teach my professional development classes, I teach folks to set SMART goals.

SMART GOALS are -

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Timed

Specific means just that.  Instead of saying, "I'm going to lose weight this year," say "I'm going to lose a pound a week until I achieve my weight loss goal."  Much easier to stay focused that way.

Measurable; how are you going to know when you get there?  If your goal - like ours - is to pay off your debt - say "I'm going to pay of X amount of debt this year by ______." 

Achievable; do you really have the resources and the time to do what you are saying you're going to do, or are you setting yourself up for failure?  How are you going to find time to go to the gym three days a week when you can barely pay your rent and you are working two jobs to make ends meet?  How about buying a couple exercise DVD's at Wal-Mart or Target and working out a home instead?  Guess what, ladies?  BONUS!  You don't have to worry about how you look at the gym!

Realistic;  Look, I would love to be an Olympic ice skater, but at almost 50, with two bad knees and 10 leg procedures under my belt this year, is that realistic?  Don't set your standards of success based on what the world or others think is cool or right.  Do what you love and success will follow you!

Timed; if you do not set a deadline, you'll never start.  A virtual deadline that moves is better than none at all.

So what are my personal goals for 2012?

Same as last year:  Lose more weight, pay off more debt, finally finish my new rom com screenplay "Full Circle" and finish that darn cookbook I keep talking about... BUT I'm setting SMART goals for each these.  I won't bore you with the details -  if you really want to know, email me and I'll be happy to share!

Dan with Actress Katy Mixon
Napa, October 2011
PS -  She thought he was "sweet."  ;.)

This year on Just for Cooking, I'm mixing it up a bit.   My hubby, Dan, is determined to lose weight.  I am going to be following his saga for the next six months.  Not on a regular basis, but when he's got something to share.  Dan is setting SMART goals for his exercise and weight loss plan.  Dan has been eating a lot of sugar and not exercising.  He's determined to prove that he can lose as much weight - or more - than I can by eating healthy as I promote in this blog. 

PS - proud of Dan.  He walked one mile today with our boy, Eddie, and then a mile and 1/4 on the treadmill tonight.  Go Dan!

I hope you will encourage Dan during his journey this year.  His "weigh in" is this weekend.  So look forward to that post.  I wish I could include some "Rocky" music here!  ;.)

My recipes this year are also going to focus on more economical ways to prepare meals.  Each meal will cost no more than $15 to prepare for 4 servings.  No expensive ingredients.  That is my pledge to you!   I'll post many meals that cost under $10 to prepare for 4!*  I will give you the breakdown of how much I paid for each item (excluding salt, pepper, and common spice rack items).

Another thing that I am going to do is incorporate one of my professional development tips into each and every blog post.  I realized that you all aren't seeing the real me and what I've got to offer you each time you take time out of your day to read my blog.  I do appreciate all of you!  I enjoy helping others.  I think you'll like these tips.

To show you that nothing has really changed here other than practical evolution of this blog, I am going to keep my number one blog picture up for the next few weeks as my header.  

Here is to a great 2012 everyone!

I will be back with my first healthy - and economical - recipe of 2012 this week.  In case you didn't see this super healthy recipe: 

http://welcometojustforcooking.blogspot.com/2011/07/garlic-spaghetti-with-chicken-sausage.html

Here is the recipe for the pork roast:  

http://welcometojustforcooking.blogspot.com/2011/10/wine-country-inspired-part-ii-solvang.html

*Prices for food and availability may vary due to geographical location.

1 comment:

TinaRBK said...

I like the smart goals you listed here. So many people fail at New Years resolutions because they are unrealistic.
Both of these dishes do look tasty, thanks for the look back. Great post to start off the New Year!