Sunday, January 22, 2012

Braciole Stuffed with Mozzarella and Radish Greens

Here is another meal that looks (and sounds) fancy, but you can make this on a budget;  fusion cuisine -- down-home American country cooking meets the Italian countryside. 


Braciole Stuffed with Mozzarella
and Radish Greens
served on 
Cheesy Egglpant Patties
with
Eggplant and Ripe Olive Marinara

I was talking online to another blogger recently.  I told her that I was terrified that I would gain back my weight when I was going through my medical procedures last year because I wasn't able to do my regular workouts for given periods of time.  But by walking and cutting calories, I was able to not only keep it off, but I lost more once I got back on my routines.

The moral of that story is, eat less - move more really works, even you can only move a little.

That conversation inspired tonight's recipe. 

I purchased those packaged beef tenderloins, marinated in a light mushroom marinade.  We found that the meat didn't have much flavor. 

Since we are on a very tight budget these days, I plan all of my meals for the entire week.  I decided to use the meat in a Braciole recipe. 

"Waste not, want not."  I don't know who said that, but it applies very much so today!

I picked up a package of Prosciutto earlier in the week to make traditional braciole.  I decided not to use it so I could make this recipe even lighter.  

Then --  I got a crazy idea -  along with the creamy Mozzarella, I would "kick it up a notch."

 

I added radish greens.  





Radish greens?  Yes!   

And, no, I haven't gone all Daisy Duke on you.  Heck, I still couldn't fit into those shorts if I tried!  Not even one leg!!!

Radish greens; beet greens -- all those can be washed, sautéed and consumed.  If you don't have or want to use radish greens (yes, they do look wilted from the get-go), you can certainly opt for perky green Arugula.  However, the radish greens are much cheaper and you get whole bunch of radishes you can add to your salad all week.

As the old TV commercial once proposed, "Try it, you'll like it."





The Eggplant Patties are coated with this new Kraft Product which I found.  I used some in the braciole and the rest for the eggplant.  I normally don't by these packaged mixtures but considering what was in this package, it's a good value.  

I deviated from the recipe on the back of the KRAFT box.  I used cooking creme and egg mixture to wet the eggplant before coating and... wow!   

If you are vegetarian, you might just consider making the eggplant and topping it with the sauce.   These eggplant patties are that good without any added cheese!

Note:  You can also use pounded Round Steak for this recipe.  You will need to increase the cooking time by 15 minutes to ensure tenderness. 

Serves 4

1 packaged Beef Tenderloin, plain or lightly marinated, (about 1 1/2 pounds), butterflied and pounded thin
4 sandwich-sized slices of Mozzarella Cheese
3 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided,  plus extra for drizzling
1 tablespoon bottled minced Garlic
2 bunches of Radish Greens or Arugula, washed and stemmed
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 6 ounce package KRAFT Fresh Take Rosemary and Roasted Garlic Recipe*
1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
1 Eggplant, sliced into 8 slices with the remaining chopped into bite-sized pieces
12 black olives, sliced
1 24 ounce jar Marinara Sauce
3 tablespoons Philadelphia® Brand 1/3 Less Fat Savory Garlic Cooking Creme, (1 tablespoon reserved)*
1/4 cup Egg Whites, beaten
1/4 cup dry or extra dry Vermouth

Other:

Cooking Spray
Butcher's Twine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut cheese slices in half and lay them across the width of the pounded steak.

Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a skillet and the minced garlic. 

Sauté greens until wilted.  Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.




Spread greens out on top of the mozzarella cheese.

In a small mixing bowl, add four tablespoons of the KRAFT breadcrumb and cheese mixture and the extra rosemary.  Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil onto the mixture and combine until coated. 

Spread breadcrumb and cheese mixture over the braciole. 

Roll meat, short side in, and tie with butcher's twine.

Add olive oil to an oven safe pan.  Brown meat on all sides.






While meat is browning, combine the Marinara sauce with two tablespoons of the cooking creme and 1/2 of the vermouth.  Heat over low heat.

Once the meat is browned, add the remaining vermouth to the pan.  Add a cup of the sauce on top of the meat.  Cover and bake for one hour.

While meat is baking, whisk the remaining tablespoon of the cooking creme with the egg whites.  Dip each slice of eggplant into the into the cooking creme and egg mixture and then PRESS the breadcrumb and cheese mixture into both sides of each slice of eggplant.  Spray slices with cooking spray. 

Add chopped eggplant and olives to remaining Marinara sauce and warm through.

After one hour, uncover the braciole.  Add the eggplant to the oven. 

Bake both dishes for 15 minutes. 


Turn eggplant in pan.  Continue to bake both for another 15 minutes.
Remove braciole from oven and let rest.  Turn on the broiler.  Drizzle the eggplant with a little olive oil and broil until browned.

To serve:  Plate sauce.  Top with two slices of eggplant.  Top each slice of eggplant with a slice of the braciole.  Drizzle with more sauce.

TIP:  Shop for your produce at a local farmer's market or farm stand for better value and fresher veggies.

*No product was supplied to blogger and not an endorsement.

No comments: