Friday, September 30, 2011

Garlic and Herb Pizza topped with Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, Peppers, Onion, Tomato and Black Olives

Pizza topped with Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage,
Peppers, Onion, Tomato and Black Olives

Note:  Remember... Please click on my food pics to get the full "Food Monty." ;.)

My husband, Dan, is an aspiring home cook too.  He often compliments me on my food, but rarely does he ever say, "This is the best I've ever eaten."  Well, tonight, he said exactly that about this pizza.  In fact, he has officially dubbed this our "go to" Friday night meal! 

The title is long.  It almost seems like this dish needs one of those fancy pizza shop names.  I can't think of one right now.  Maybe you can.  This is a perfect with a glass of Chianti, and it's so filling, you don't even need to make a salad.

Ingredients:

For the Sauce:

1  1.6 ounce Package Knorr ® Garlic and Herb Sauce Mix
2 cups 2% Milk (this is more than what the package calls for)
1 tablespoon Butter

For the Pizza:

1 package fresh store-bought Pizza Dough, prepped  to rise per package instructions
1 tablespoon Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing crust
2/3 cup thinly sliced sweet Onion
1 Banana Pepper, seeded and sliced
1 small (or several extra small) green pepper(s), seeded and sliced
2 Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage Links, casing removed
4 ounces Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
2/3 cup canned Petite Diced Tomato, drained of juice (Suggest Muir Glen Organic)*
7 Black Seasoned Italian Olives, sliced
1/8 cup Shredded Asiago Cheese

Other:
Cooking Spray
Flour
Fresh Chopped Basil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook sauce per package directions (except for the amount of milk you will use).

Saute peppers and onions in olive oil, about three minutes.  Remove to bowl.



Crumble sausage in the same pan and brown, about five five minutes.

Lightly grease cookie sheet with cooking spray and flour pan. 

Using flour to help you roll, roll out the dough to desired thickness.  I recommend that you don't worry about getting it too round or too perfect. 

Note:  The thinner you roll this out, the crisper the crust will be. 




Top the pizza dough with half of the cooked sauce.  Reserve the remainder for another dish.






Top with Mozzarella Cheese, tomato, peppers and onions, sausage, olives and Asiago cheese.

Bake for 22 minutes (less if crust is thinner, more if it's thicker).  After this time, brush exposed edges of the pizza with a little olive oil and continue to bake for two more minutes until edges are browned.




Top with fresh chopped Basil.

Note:  No product was supplied to blogger and not a paid endorsement.

8 comments:

German Mama said...

I am not a big fan of white pizzas in general - but this sounds and looks absolutely fantastic! Great job.

Unknown said...

Thank you, German Mama... Honestly, I am not either. I Loooove my red sauce, but with the tomato on the pizza and the wonderful Garlic and Herb Sauce, you didn't miss it at all.

For everyone else - Be sure to check out German Mama's blog. I love it! ;.))

Unknown said...

Or should I say her "blogs?" Very talented.

TinaRBK said...

There is not a thing I would change about this! Very unique and wonderful ingredients-I would definitely eat my share this pizza..yum! Have a great weekend.

Susan @ SGCC said...

I actually really do love a good white pizza, and this one looks great! The garlic sauce is a perfect addition. Well done!

The Culinary Lens said...

I love when I come up with a new go-to meal. Sometimes I need a new one because I eat them till I am bore senseless LOL
This looks really good.

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks really mouthwatering and comforting!

mike @the culinary lens said...

This looks so good. Home made pizza beats store bought every time