Monday, September 26, 2011

Fusion Sofrito

Fusion Sofrito

So many Sofrito recipes on the Internet, so little time to research.  Between a full time job, my blog, writing my cookbook and revising a screenplay, not to mention finding time to workout and for my husband and dog (did I mention testing recipes and cleaning my own house?) - there is little time for a good night's sleep these days, much less anything else.

So, when I thought about making Sofrito, I went to an expert. 

My friend, Sandra, is from Puerto Rico.  She gave me the low down on the difference between Puerto Rican Sofrito, Cuban, and what is commonly made in the Dominican Republic.  In Puerto Rico, the locals like to use Banana Peppers and no tomato.  She uses Annato for the color.  

I am going to try Sandra's recipe very soon.  The reason I changed it up is because I had over-ripe tomatoes that I had to use up.  I think my version tonight is more of a "Caribbean Fusion" version. 

Call it what you like.  It is delicious.

Tonight,  I simply braised two skinless chicken leg quarters in the Sofrito with a little beer I had leftover from my rib recipe last night, and I threw in a shot of Puerto Rican spiced rum for good measure.  Yum.   I have to tell you, that chicken rocked! 

No matter what you want to make with this-  from pork roast to beans and rice - you are sure to love my Fusion Sofrito.

Note:  Sandra recommends freezing the remainder in ice cube trays so you've got it ready no matter what you are serving.  Thank you, Chica, for your great advice!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup Olive Oil
1 small Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Banana Pepper, diced
1 small Yellow Onion, diced
3 medium Tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 head of Garlic, peeled and cloves separated and smashed with the back of knife
Big bunch of Cilantro or Cultanto, to taste
1 tablespoon Adobo Seasoning
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Pour 1/2 cup of the Olive Oil into a pan.   Reserve the remaining oil.



Saute green peppers, banana pepper and onion for about five minutes, until the edges start to crisp up.



Place remaining ingredients (except for the additional olive oil) into a food processor.  Pour pepper and onion mixture over the top of these ingredients.  Pulse six or seven times until everything in blended.

Drizzle in remaining Olive Oil.  Process repeatedly for about 30 seconds until everything is blended.





Cook.  Eat.  Live.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

You are busy. How exciting writing a cookbook. I'd like to write my own cookbook one day. I like the recipe.

mike @ the culinary lens said...

Ice cube soffrito is great. Packs a whole lot of flavor into a small space.
This fusion of PR an Cuban is very interesting and I need to try it

Sarah said...

Wow-busy, busy! This recipe looks wonderful. Looking foward to trying it soon!