Friday, August 26, 2011

Low Country Boil

Low Country Boil

Look what I got in the mail yesterday!





As a member of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, I received these samples of Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Pure Olive Oil, and Light Olive Oil.

For this dish, I used both the Pure Olive Oil and the Extra Virgin.  The Pure Olive Oil has a mild and smooth flavor.  It’s great for roasting, grilling, saut├ęs or marinades. The EVOO is great for salads, drizzling, or in sauces.  The “bold and fruity” flavors set this olive oil apart from the competition.  I actually buy these products all the time.  So I was thrilled, THRILLED, to get the samples in the mail.




You probably don’t think of Low Country Boil and Olive Oil in the same sentence.  Here’s the deal:  I don’t use pre-cooked Kielbasa in my Low Country Boil; I use fresh smoked sausage.  I also make my dipping sauce with Extra Virgin Olive Oil to cut down on the amount of butter that I use – and the fat and the calories.




What I do first is preheat my oven to 400°.  I slice up the sausage and I drizzle it with Crisco® Pure Olive oil.  I roast the sausage for 20 minutes until its crispy brown on the outside.  This helps to hold in all the juices when I boil it. 

This dish reminds me of the weekend my hubby, Dan, and I spent in Savannah last year.  Savannah is one of my favorite cities in the US – full of history and culture, beauty and wonderful southern hospitality – and don’t get me started on the great food!



Here’s what you need to make your Low Country Boil:

1 very big Pot
2 – 3 light Beers*
4 - 6 cups Water*
2 - 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning*
½ - ¾ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper*
2 crushed/dried Bay leafs
½ Lemon
3 Green Onions, washed
6 – 10 Petite Red Potatoes (depending on how many people you are feeding)
1 ½ - 2 ½ lbs Rock Crab (ditto on the above sidebar)
½ - 1 pound Fresh Smoked Sausage, roasted in Crisco® Pure Olive Oil (ditto again)
3-5 ears Fresh Corn-on-the-cob, halved
One Dozen Large Shell on Shrimp, deveined
Fresh Parsley for garnish, optional

*Increase liquid and seasoning as you increase the amount of fish/sausage/corn in the pot.

For the Dipping Sauce:

¼ cup Crisco 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Butter
½ tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 – 3 shakes Hot Sauce
Juice of ½ Lemon
½ tablespoon freshly chopped Parsley

Add new potatoes, beer, water, seasonings, bay leaf, lemon and onions to a very large pot.  Bring to boil.

Reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, covered.

Add Crab and cook for 5 minutes, covered.

Add sausage and corn and cook for 5 more minutes, covered.

Add shrimp.  Turn off heat, cover and let rest for 7 more minutes. 

Plate and top with fresh parsley.

While the boil is cooking, add all ingredients (except for parsley) for dipping sauce into a microwave safe bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for one minute.  Toss in fresh parsley at the end.




Serve immediately with a few cold beers or southern-style sweet tea.

Note:  May God be with the people of the Low Country tonight as Hurricane Irene barrels down on the coast.


Post a Comment