Sunday, May 22, 2011

Brats Braised in Beer with Spicy Onions


Brats are a summertime favorite.  With Memorial Day right around the corner, I want to show you my favorite way to make them.   I like to use leftover seasonal beer with a spice, such as Octoberfest by Sam Adams.  I normally have a few bottles around come spring in my fridge which are still quite fine for cooking.  I like this beer because it gives the brats a nice kick.  You can also use a lager and add a dash or two of Allspice.

The addition of the garlic and the mustard while braising gives the onions an extra special flavor.  That was my idea.  As the brats braise, the grainy mustard coats the brats, too.  So when you grill them up, wow! 

You can probably find the original recipe sans the garlic and mustard on the Sam Adams website.

This cooking method keeps the brats extra juicy.  They will actually plump up from having braised in the beer PRIOR to grilling.  I've seem people grill them and then put them into the beer bath but trust me, this is so much better!

Skip the fork and use tongs to turn the brats, otherwise those juices will run out.  Of course, as with most of my recipes, you can double or triple it as needed. 

You will need: 

1 - 20 ounce package Bratwurst -  Suggest Johnsonville® Original
1 large Sweet Onion, sliced (rustic chop or slice is fine)
1 clove of garlic, peeled but not chopped
3 Samuel Adams® Octoberfest Beers (Or three lager beers with a dash of Allspice added)
1 tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard

Add brats, onion, garlic and beer to large pan on stove.   Stir in the mustard.

Bring to boil and reduce to simmer.  Cover and cook for 30 minutes.



Preheat grill to 350 degrees.   Grill brats for about 7 minutes and return to the beer bath. 



Serve these on the plate or on buns with the onions, your favorite toppings and picnic sides!  Enjoy!

No comments: