Thursday, February 6, 2014

Southwestern Brussels Sprouts



Hello!

The runch crunch finally got me last week.  And I was on antibiotics.  And as a result, I didn't workout.  Which means I didn't lose any weight.  In fact, I put back on a pound.  But as I told my friends on Facebook:  Nobody ever said the road to success was the Autobahn.

I've been told in the past that I don't post enough side dishes.  I love veggies.  We all need to eat more. Well, this dish will even appeal to those of you who will only eat veggies if there is bacon in the dish.  I used turkey bacon.  If you are tracking WW points, this came in at a whopping 3 points, even with the turkey bacon!

So it's good for those nights when you are staying within the guidelines. 

I'm serving it with 4 ounces of pork shoulder seasoned with a an Espresso steak rub (slow roasted) and boiled potatoes smashed with non-fat Greek yogurt, lemon juice and dill.  My entire evening meal came to 11 points.  Of course, you can make lower point options if you've splurged more during the day.  I am not much of a snacker  I probably should be as I know it's good to eat more frequently.

Oh, and as you can see from the pictures in this post and the last, I am rockin' my new Lodge skillet.  It's been dark and rainy until I get around to making/taking the pictures.  Come spring we'll get some nice patio garden pictures again.   

Well, I am rambling, so here  you go!

Ingredients:

2 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon
1 medium Jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 tbs. olive oil
1/8 cup sliced scallion, white and light green part
24 ounces uncooked Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 tbs. fresh lime juice
1/2 tbs. butter
Pinch of Paprika, optional

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Add turkey bacon to a large, heavy skillet or cast iron pan.  Cook over medium heat until crispy.  Do not burn. 

Remove the turkey bacon from the pan and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.  Let the bacon sit for  a few minutes to firm up so that you can crumble. 

Add in the Jalapeno to the bacon grease.  If there is too much grease, you can pat the pan lightly with a paper towel to remove the excess.  LIGHTLY sauté the pepper until softened. 

Drizzle in the olive oil and add the scallion to the pan.  Continue to cook for about another minute.

Add in the Brussels sprouts and stir to combine the flavors.  Place the pan into the hot oven.   Bake for approximately fifteen - eighteen (15-18) minutes until the Brussels sprouts are tender and browned to your liking.  You can let it go a little longer is you like.  I will often leave these in for about 20-22 minutes if the Brussels sprouts are larger.  Adjust cooking time for your oven.

Remove the pan from the oven.  Place the pan back onto the stove over low heat. 

Add in the lime juice and the butter.  Once the butter melts, stir to combine the flavors.  Add the paprika, if using, and crumble in the reserved turkey bacon.




You are ready to serve.

And there you go.  A simple side dish I know you are going to love.

See you soon!




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: