Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tribute to the 13 Colonies Part XII and XIII: Atlantic Coast Crab and Corn Pasta



It's been a great summer.  The kids are going back to school next week here in Lake County, Florida.

In this series, I blended a little bit of American History in with the food. I also tried to focus on regional recipes or something which tasted of a region.  For the last post of my summer series, I prepared a dish that I had been wanting to make for a while. 

Tonight, the tribute goes to Delaware and Maryland.   Maryland history dates back as far as 1498.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Maryland. Delaware's history is more recent, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Delaware.

I've been to Baltimore but never to Delaware.  But I understand from a culinary perspective, both are big crab states.  Crab and corn pasta is traditional in the summertime. 

Here is my version:

Ingredients -

1/2 pound of your favorite cooked pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 ear corn, kernels removed from cob
1 large tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
14 grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoon butter
Dash or two of hot sauce, optional
1/2 tablespoon seafood seasoning (I used Old Bay)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 ounces lump meat fresh crab (from a container if fine), picked clean of shells

Note:  Hubby Dan made a wonderful fresh short cut pasta for this dish.  But use any pasta that you like.  I recommend a denser variety such as cavatelli.

Fresh chives are optional.

Directions -

Cook pasta per package directions.  Drain and keep warm.

In a medium skillet, add olive oil, green pepper and corn kernels.  Saute' for four or five minutes.

Add garlic.  Continue to cook for one more minute.

Add the grape tomatoes to the pan and cook for one minute until they just begin to soften.

Add the butter and the hot sauce to the pan.  While the butter is melting, add the seafood season and lemon to the crab and carefully toss. 

Add the crab to the pan and gently toss with the other vegetables so that the crab doesn't break up too much.

Toss with pasta and serve immediately.

I hope you enjoyed this summer series.  Next up, I'll be sharing another crab dish. 

See you soon!

1 comment:

Eri said...

who can resist to this combination of flavors, the dish is so simple yet so amazing!
It's good to be here, have a nice day Kay!