Friday, October 28, 2011

Beef Tenderloin with Italian Béarnaise

October is a big month for me.  A week ago, it was my birthday.   The fun just keeps on coming.  

Today is our 11th wedding anniversary! 


No, it's not Ivana and "The Donald"
It's me and Dan with our "Rent-a-Preacher"
October 28th, 2000
Wyndam Hotel, Tampa, Florida
What a Party!

One thing you learn quickly when you have a late October anniversary – especially if you are married to a sports fan – Game 6 or 7 of the World Series will usually fall on your special day. 

That doesn’t bother me.   A couple of our anniversaries we spent it in Vegas.   In fact, we actually did our "Honeymoon in Vegas."  Only James Caan and Nicolas Cage weren't fighting over me.  It was more like Dan winning at Roulette, and then losing it.  Easy come, easy go.

I recall one year in Vegas where the Yankees - Dan's favorite team - was playing the Florida Marlins.  He got on an elevator wearing a Yankees jersey and a Marlin's hat.  The guy who was already on there asked him if he was "conflicted." ;.)))

Other years we spent it at home.  We've always had fun on our special day no matter what. 

I am also an avid sports fan.  I like baseball, football and NASCAR.  In fact, when Dan and I were planning our wedding in Tampa 11 years ago – he said, “Let’s do it on the 28th, because that’s at the end of Hurricane Season.” 

I said, “You are right.  Why let a tropical storm ruin or big day?” 

Dan smiled and said in return, “I meant Miami Hurricane season.” 
 
I married him anyway. 

We ARE watching Game 7 tonight.  I am rooting for the Cardinals because I have family in St. Louis.  In fact, when I was six years old, I went to visit family.  I asked my Aunt Helen, "Are we going to go places and do things, or are we just going to sit around the house?"

Oh, but Dan and I will make it up to each other on Sunday by spending the whole day together.  We won't be "sitting around the house."  I guess that's why we are together after 11 years and still going strong. 

Today got me thinking about the demands of modern-day life.  Special days don’t always fall when it’s “convenient.”  In fact, we both were on the road today for our day jobs.  Dan worked a 14 hour day yesterday.  I got home at almost 7 pm due to a rain storm. 

Here is quick and simple meal that will taste like a celebration.  You can make this on your busiest of days.   By the way, our Golden, Eddie, got to partake of some of the beef tonight.  Like most "parents," you have to include the kid(s) in your anniversary celebration.

Our side dish was a simple mash of escarole and white bean, made with a little garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, lemon and Parmesan cheese.  Mashing it makes it creamier. I love these starch and veggie combos on busy nights because there is less clean up.

We paired this recipe with Cline Bridgehead Zinfandel Contra Costa County 2009.   

I hope you will enjoy this easy celebration meal!  If you are so inclined, please post your special wedding, honeymoon and anniversary stories in the comments so we can all laugh and share!

Ingredients:

1 – 16 ounce Beef Tenderloin
Drizzle or two of Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Course Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh Ground Pepper, more to taste
½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
½ teaspoon Dried Rosemary

For the Sauce:

1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Packet Béarnaise Sauce Mix
1 cup Cold 2% Milk
1 Cup Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained of Juice
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh Basil




Preheat oven to 450°.

Heat a cast iron skillet until it’s smoking hot.



Drizzle tenderloin with olive oil.  Add salt, pepper and dried herbs to both sides, pressing to make that the herbs stick.

Add tenderloin to hot pan.  Sear on one side, about 2 -3 minutes.

Flip and immediately place pan in hot oven.

Cook for approximately 15 minutes for medium rare.

Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

To make the sauce:
Whisk all ingredients together in a sauce pan.  Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, about two minutes.  Serve immediately over sliced tenderloin. 




It is a Friday night.  No work tomorrow so we topped it off  with a nightcap of Eric Ross 2009 Old Vine Zinfandel Port; Dry Creek Valley.

Cheers, and happy celebrating!


1 comment:

Judy said...

Wedding????? What wedding??? :) I however feel very blessed to have shared in yours. So happy to see YOU so happy (Dan us definitely a keeper). The dinner looks delicious by the way. That picture made my mouth actually water. YUM!!!