Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Philly Cheese Steak Burgers

Dan loves Philly Cheese Steaks.  Who doesn't?  I wanted an excuse to use the first home-grown bell pepper of the season to be picked. I came up with this easy and delicious burger recipe inspired by the famous sandwich with a touch of English pub thrown in for good measure.

Using light Swiss Cheese and lean ground chuck helps to keep this recipe within my "Just for Cooking" healthy recipe guidelines.  Use whole wheat burger buns for an even healthier meal!

Philly Cheese Steak Burger
For the Burger:

1 1/4 pound lean Ground Chuck
2 tablespoons Grill Seasoning for Steak
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
Splash of Merlot Wine
4 slices Light Swiss Cheese

Other:
4 Hamburger Buns
Cooking Spray for Grill

Topping:

1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Butter

1 small Green Bell Pepper, sliced
1 large Sweet Onion, sliced
1 cup sliced white Mushrooms
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Coarse Sea Salt, to taste

Sauce:

1 tablespoon prepared Horseradish
3 tablespoons Canola Oil Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Sour Cream
2 tablespoons freshly Chopped Chives

Spray grill with cooking spray.   Preheat grill to 400 degrees.

Mix all burger ingredients well - except for cheese - in large mixing bowl and form into four even patties. 

Place patties on grill and cook to 165 degrees, turning once (about 5-7 minutes each side).  Melt cheese over burger. 

Note:  I like to use a meat thermometer and I pull the burger just shy of this temp and place them under a tin foil tent.  The carryover cooking brings them to the perfect temp.  Grills vary so adjust cooking time accordingly.



On the side burner of the grill, add oil and butter to a cast iron skillet.  Add bell pepper and onion and cook for five minutes. 




Add mushrooms and pepper and cook for an additional five minutes.  Add salt to taste.

For the sauce, mix together all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.  This step can be done in advance.



 Top with burger with sauce and then add the peppers, onions and mushrooms. 

6 comments:

Christine's Pantry said...

Great recipe! Love burgers.

Thanks,
Christine
christinespantry.blogspot.com

TinaRBK said...

Great pics-what an awesome burger. I like the unique sauce here and all the fresh veggies. Thanks for sharing-buzz!

Just for cooking said...

Thank you! Sorry for the formatting error in the recipe. I fixed it. - MK

Unknown said...

I do appreciate the comments on the pics. I try. ;.))))

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Tell Dan (I don't actually know who he is though) that I couldn't agree more! I went to school near Philly and ate more than my fair share of cheesesteaks. What a great use for your first pepper of the season!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jen. Dan is my hubby. I forget that I've gained a few new readers and might have to go back and explain who's who. ;.)