Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tuna for Two


Cook's Note:  This recipe makes me think of the situation and the wonderful people of Japan.  Know that our prayers are with you ALWAYS.  I'd like to dedicate this post to our adopted nephew, Josh, who is serving in the US Marines there.  Our prayers are with you, too!

Sesame Crusted Tuna
Marinated in a Garlic Teriyaki Ponzu


Click on the Picture: 
Look at that Sesame Crust!

Dan wants to eat more fish.  I want Dan to eat more fish. 

The other night we were talking about making tuna.  I've made tuna over the years, but he's always been just "okay" with it.  He recalled a recipe he had in a restaurant years ago; he couldn't even remember the name of the place.  It was the only tuna he ever really was wild about, other than the kind you get out of a can and mix with tons of Mayo. 

It was a sesame crusted tuna, which had been marinated in Teriyaki sauce. Game on!

So, I came up with this recipe.  I never saw Dan devour, I mean devour a piece of tuna so quickly.  The flavor in this marinade is so crazy good.  You will want to marinate tuna, chicken or even pork loin in it.  If you cook it just right, you'll have the best tuna ever.  I promise!  But as I say, you are the judge and jury.  Make it and tell me what you think.

I made this recipe for two, but feel free to double or triple it if you are having company or cooking for a family.

Garlic Teriyaki Ponzu Marinade

1 clove of fresh Garlic, chopped
¼ cup bottled Teriyaki Sauce (Suggest Kikkoman)
½ tablespoon bottled Ponzu Sauce*
1 tablespoon Red Pepper Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon of chopped Green Onion

For the Tuna:

2 – 4.5 ounce Wild Caught Ahi (Yellowfin) Tuna Steaks
One Tablespoon of Sesame Seeds
Extra Teriyaki Sauce for Drizzling

Cooking spray

Whisk together all ingredients for marinade.  I like to reserve about an 1/8 of a cup if I am making my veggie packs, otherwise, go ahead and use it all.

Place tuna in a glass dish.  Pour marinade over tuna.  Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours, turning once.


Tuna in Marinade

Remove tuna steaks from marinade.  If garlic sticks to tuna, press it into the flesh.  Press sesame seeds into the flesh of the fish.

Heat cast iron skillet over side burner or grill (this is my number one choice for cooking this), or heat up your grill to about 400 degrees.

And now, for the perfectly cooked tuna!

  • Cook for 30 seconds each side for very rare (cold center).
  • Cook for 90 seconds on each side for rare to medium rare (warm center).
  • For medium (pink center), cook for 90 seconds on each side, and then cook one additional minute on each side.

Turn off heat and let fish rest in pan for about 30 minutes.  Remove from pan.  Drizzle with Teriyaki sauce and serve.

I served over a simple mix of veggies prepared in a foil pack on the grill using a little of the same marinade, a little olive oil and a splash of Saki to steam.  And, yes, that is bagged coleslaw mix on top of those sliced carrots, onion and zucchini.  Dan and I can never use an entire bag of coleslaw mix.  I love using the extra up this way.


Marinade mixed with olive oil, ground ginger and Saki!

I also took a little store-bought help to round out the meal.


Note:  Ponzu is a citrus based sauce used in Japanese cuisine.  It’s made from mirin wine, rice vinegar, dried tuna (katsuobushi) and seaweed.  Try the bottled version. It is de-lish!

No comments: