Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cedar Planked Chicken Parm Meatloaf

MK's special note:  Thanks to all of you who e-mailed and called me about my surgery.  I'm moving a little slow, but I am doing just fine!  Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts and your prayers.

*********

Craving Meatloaf? 

Cook it on the grill and save on the electric bill!

I'm serious!  Here is another creative way to use ground chicken.  I made this last week while Mama Pirri was here recovering from her surgery.  (Yes, Dan's girls are a total mess).  

And now, for something completely different...  

Cedar Planked Chicken Parm Meatloaf

Chicken Parm Meatloaf, hot off the... grill???

You won't want to hold the applause.  This dish is so smoky and cheesy!  Trust me. You will love it!  Think of the best barbecue chicken you ever had, glazed and saucy meatloaf with crispy ends, and your favorite chicken Parmesan recipe all rolled into one!

This is a meatloaf that is so moist and so flavorful on the inside.  Not to mention, it's healthier than most Italian meatloaf recipes!   I am not certain if it's the flash of the fire on the cedar plank that does the trick, or what's in the middle that makes this turn out so fantastic.   

You  are my judge and my jury.  Try it and tell me what you think.

Plank it!

For the Meatloaf:
1 lb Ground Chicken
1 tablespoon Grill Seasoning for Chicken
1/2 cup chunked Romano Cheese (be sure to chunk, not grate it!)
2 Eggs, cracked and beaten lightly
2 tablespoons Sun Dried Tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/2 cup diced Red Onion
2 cups diced White Mushrooms
4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup dried Italian Breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon chopped Chives
2 tablespoons Red Sauce from a jar (just use your favorite)*

*You will need a 1/4 cup of extra sauce for the glaze and for topping the meatloaf at the table (optional).
Glaze it!


For the Glaze:
1/4 cup Red Sauce from a Jar
2 tablespoons Ketchup

Cheese it!


Cheesy Topping:
1/4 cup shredded fat free Mozzarella Cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat grill to 350°.

Mix all ingredients for the meatloaf together.  Form into loaf on top of a soaked cedar plank.  Carefully place plank on grill. 

Important Note:  Just be sure to soak your plank before using and keep a spray bottle of water on hand in case of flair ups.

Close the lid and maintain the grill at about 350 degrees, checking occasionally for flare ups.  I like to make this when I have time to sit out on the porch with a cold drink, so I am close to the grill with the squirt bottle in case I need to put out any flair ups. 

You are going for temperature here, so continue to cook (on my grill it took about one hour and fifteen minutes), until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees and the juices run clear. 

During the last five minutes of cooking, when the temp gets up to around 170, I top with the glaze.  Right before I am ready to pull it from the grill, I top it with the cheese and let the cheese get all melty (just like you would with a burger). I like to add extra sauce at the end!  I'll fight you for those crispy ends!  Inside, it's so moist and juicy and smoky!  Yum! 

Serve with a side of Broccoli
& White Beans

MK's Note:  

I didn’t invent the concept of cedar plank meatloaf.  If you do a Google search, you’ll find a dozen or more recipes out there.  I am partial to my own recipe. 


 



2 comments:

Judy said...

Going to definitely try this. It looks delicious. I LOVE meatloaf!

Karen Harris said...

I love this post. I am a down home food girl through and through. You have a great blog. Best of luck with it and enjoy. I am a fellow CCCer and blogger. Please stop by and visit mine when you have a chance. http://eatdrinkwashup.blogspot.com