Monday, December 21, 2015

Clams and Mussels in a Savory Broth over Baby Kale Blend


 
 
Clams and Mussels in a Savory Broth over Baby Kale Blend

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I know I haven't been posting as many recipes.  Truth is, I got my creative writing "Muse" back;  I'd been suffering from a terrible case of writers block the last couple of years.  In my spare time (after my full time job) I've been writing a screenplay again.  So, I honestly haven't been cooking as much.  I bring no recipe to you unless it's been fully tested.

Here is one of my favorites.  It's perfect for holiday entertaining.  Particularly on those nights when your holiday company is arriving and you need something fast so you can finish the shopping, or attend a holiday event. It's also great in small portions served as an appetizer for a holiday meal.

Clams and Mussels in a Savory Broth over Baby Kale Blend -

Sounds fancy, huh?   This time of year, I like a few of these “go to” appetizers for entertaining.  But this also makes a nice treat if you’re cooking for two.  Here is the recipe for 2, but you can double or triple this if you are having a party.

Try to find the Meyer lemon if you can.  It really makes a difference in this dish!

Ingredients:

1 dozen cherrystone clams
1/2 lb. mussels
1/4 cup corn meal
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon olive oil and canola blend
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/3 cup extra dry vermouth or non alcoholic dry white wine
1/4 cup Meyer Lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Tamari
1 teaspoon mashed garlic (about one large clove)
2 cups baby kale blend salad

Directions:

Soak the clams and the mussels in water with the corn meal under refrigeration for about 1/2 hour.   Strain and rinse. 

Add the butter and oil to the pan along with the crushed red pepper.   Once the butter melts, let the pepper infuse for about a minute, but be careful not to brown the butter.


Add the clams and the mussels to the pan along with the vermouth, lemon juice, Tamari and garlic.

Cover and simmer over medium heat until all clams and mussels open, about 10 minutes.  Discard any unopened shell fish. 


I hoped you've enjoyed the recipes that you posted this year.  And from my family to yours, wishing you a joyous Christmas and a happy 2016!

See you next year.

MK


 





No comments: