Thursday, December 5, 2013

Tuna Scampi-Style with Baby Spinach



I am constantly trying to improve this blog and your experience.  I am still learning and I hope you enjoy the changes that I am making.  I am going to be trying different things with the photographs to mix it up a little. 

And I am also constantly improving my recipes.  This is very similar to one that I did a while back, only better.  It's delicious Italian tuna done Scampi style.   I know, scampi is a large shrimp.  But this recipe is in the style of shrimp scampi.  And it's a one-dish meal (I love those on a buys weeknight). There is baby spinach in there.

Anyway, you are going to love it!

Oh, and before I forget, I have a new Facebook page which actually matches the name of my blog.  https://www.facebook.com/mksfabfood  I hope you will join me there. 

Serves 2

Ingredients: 

1/4 lb. whole grain spaghetti, prepared per package directions
2 tbs. olive oil and canola oil blend
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (plus more for passing at the table)
1 small shallot, chopped (about 1 1/2 tbs.)
2 tbs. butter, divided
2 tbs. lemon juice, divided
1 can (5 ounces) good quality Italian tuna packed in oil
Splash of dry vermouth (optional)
4 ounces baby spinach
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:

While the pasta is cooking, add the oil, anchovy paste, crushed red pepper and shallot to a deep skillet.  Sauté for about three minutes until the anchovy paste melts and the shallot softens.

Turn heat to low.  Add half of the butter.  Once the butter melts, add the lemon juice and the tuna and the oil from the can.

Break the tuna up (carefully) with the back of a spoon.  Add the vermouth (if using) and warm through.

Add the spinach and the nutmeg to the pan.  Wilt the spinach.

It's ready to serve!

I hope you will enjoy this recipe and as always, I'll see you soon!  ;.)


No comments: