Monday, July 9, 2012

Tribute to the 13 Colonies Part IV- Dan's Famous Vidalia Onion Rings


                                                     
 Replica of the famous "Bird Girl" Statue
   Savannah History Museum
    Photo by Dan LaBrie (used with permission)

I love Georgia.  I love everything about Atlanta (except for the traffic).  I love the outskirts of Atlanta where shows like the "Dukes of Hazzard" were filmed.  I love Savannah. 

I've been to Georgia many times, both on business and pleasure.  Established in 1732, it was the last of the 13 colonies.  From the Revolutionary to the Civil War, the state has played a big part in our American story.  Georgia has long been said to have been a penal colony.  However, that story is inflated.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)

When I think of Georgia in the summer, I think of sweet Vidalia onions.  These were first grown in Georgia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidalia_onion

We don't eat fried foods very often in this house.  Many of you already know that my husband, Dan, is also an accomplished home cook.  Dan's onion rings are delicious and not greasy at all.  He "shallow fries" them instead of deep frying to get a golden crispy coating.  You must give this recipe a try.

Ingredients:

1 large Vidalia Onion, sliced into rings
1 cup Beer Batter Mix
2/3 cup beer or water
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt (plus more for shaking on after frying)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil



Directions:

Separate onion rings. 

Mix beer batter mix with beer, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper until well mixed. 

Preheat oil over medium heat in a heavy skillet.

While oil is heating, dip the onions in the batter to coat evenly.  Once the oil is hot (toss a couple of drops of water into the pan to see if the oil pops), working in batches, fry the onion rings until golden brown.

Remove from oil to a plate lined with paper towel.  Add additional salt while the rings are hot. 

Enjoy! 

Next up, we are going to New Jersey for another one of Dan's recipes that I know you are going to love.

2 comments:

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Would you believe I've lived in Georgia for like 10 years now and still have only ever been to the airport in Atlanta? I've been to Savannah many times though and fall in love with it all over again each time I go!

Unknown said...

For the job I had in the mid to late 90's, my territory was Florida, Georgia and Texas. So I got to know Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas very well. Savannah was handled by another vendor until we acquired that vendor. I only had the chance to go once. I didn't return until 2010 with Dan. It is a wonderful city. Any city with history, I love!