Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Braised Green Beans with Shallot Butter and Thyme

If you are like me in the summer, you always buy too many fresh greens beans.  We have to find ways to use them up before they turn.   This week, I am going to bring you two great green bean recipes; one side and one main dish that I know you are going to love.



Tonight I prepared Braised Green Beans with Shallot Butter and Thyme.   This is a great side dish for grilled meat, fish, or meatloaf.   It's so simple to make.

Here is what you need and what you need to do:

Serves 4.

Ingredients:


1 pound fresh green beans, washed and snapped at the ends
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup vegetable stock or broth
1 medium-large shallot, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
2 springs of fresh thyme, removed from the stems

Directions:

Place washed green beans into a braising pan along with one tablespoon of the butter.  Pour one cup of boiling vegetable stock (I heat it in the microwave) over the top of the beans.  Bring to boil and reduce to simmer about five minutes until the beans are tender - longer if you want the beans to be well cooked. 

Drain and plate the beans and keep them warm. 

In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the shallot.  Sauté for two or three minutes.  Add the thyme and cook for one more minute.  Pour butter and shallot with thyme over cooked green beans and serve immediately. 

With my next post (including green beans), I am beginning a 13 part summer series in tribute to the 4th of July.  I will be writing regional recipes from the original 13 colonies in celebration.  

And don't forget to check out tonight's money-saving post on Cafe' Cheapo. 

I am still editing my first video to go up on Living El Cheapo.  I'll let you know what that is posted.

Enjoy tonight's green bean recipe.  I'll see you soon!

1 comment:

Dash Interiors said...

Looks so easy and so perfect. Great side dish~